G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I had a run with the ASTER SNCF 140C which had not run for a year or so. All went well, but I noticed some leaking of the right cylinder drain cocks; I will have a look at that (extras always give extra problems 馃槈) .

Regards
Fred

Premium Member
This afternoon I had a run with the ASTER SNCF 140C which had not run for a year or so. All went well, but I noticed some leaking of the right cylinder drain cocks; I will have a look at that (extras always give extra problems 馃槈) .

Regards
Fred
Hi Fred
Nice run.
I had several nice runs but finally on the banjo fitting out of the boiler on sight glass, the copper disintegrated
Am working on fix

Where are the coaches from?
jim o

Registered
Very nice Fred, Your slight steam leak on LH cylinder drains makes for a very realistic steamy atmosphere, the 140C is one of my favourite French engines and looks great with the Wilag coaches. I must run mine as it too has been sitting for while.
Russell

Registered
A bit of info on the 140 C for those not familiar with French railways : it was an ETAT (Western SNCF region) railway design just prior to WW1 and was later adopted as standard by the Army for hauling heavy railway guns. After the war these were surplus and some were purchased by the EST (Eastern region) and a few by the PLM (south east region). They were at the time a powerful freight unit and were limited at 70 km/hour speed. Thus they were mainly used as freight engines. However a few were used on locals notably by the Est region, and we are fortunate in gauge one that at least two types of German railways (Armistice) coaches used on the SNCF were hauled by these engines the prussian six wheelers (and likely the bogie version also) and the thunderboxes with outside platforms. These hapened to be used on the CFTA near Gray right into the late sixties and even seventies (some of the last steam in france). Of course they were more o
ften seen in the late years by the metalised ex PLM six wheelers, of which no commercial model exist. The former two types are offered by M盲rklin, although they would need to be repainted in SNCF colours and markings.
I have made one of the ex PLM six wheelers.
Train Rolling stock Vehicle Track Railroad car

Since there are at least three in preservation, they now often run with main line coaches (even pulmans) in preservation lines and specials. So can be run with OCEM, CIWL, but they probably very rarely did in the heyday of steam. There is a possibility that an express with these coaches ran on the ETAT and Western region between Cherbourg and Lamballe on a secondary diagonal line between Normandy and Brittany on which the speed limit was so near the consolidations track speed that it didn't matter too much.

Registered
Hi fred I didn't mean to say that, as it runs with a lot of diferent consists now in preservation. I just wanted other gauge one fans to know that there are many good and fairly easy on the budget cars available that ran with this engine in regular service on the CFTA in the east of France.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts