G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Mark, Victor,
i will be running on a layout on wed, or thurs i will video tape to see what it can pull and how sharp it can get round. to be honest by looking at it im not sure it can due super tight turns with a car in tow, but we will set up some 4 and 5ft dia track and try it, anlso smoke and sound not the best in this loco as i stated at the beginning of the the post but its something, we WILL be working on that one pritty quick. does sound about like the bachmann locos. dont know why manufactures that try to out there own sound systems in cant do a better job... aleast when they install after market sounds system, they sound a little better but need work as well..
more on this loco soon but check my videos tonight i got my mallets and mikado back from Ray, and he made work great took video last wed of them runnin :rolleyes::D;)
Nick..

·
Registered
938 Posts
Posted By markoles on 09/15/2008 7:11 AM
Sounds like a decent little engine for the price.
I can't access the videos from where I am at. Did USA put any more detail in the main rod or is it just flat metal? $400 for a steam engine with sound is not too bad. Given it is die cast, you don't have to worry too much about the USA smoke unit setting your locomotive on fire!!

Holy crap!

Raymond

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Ray,

Tell me about it!! The story there was I was 'letting my trains run' while I was raking leaves. From where I was (about 100 feet away), I could still see the loco and its two cars flying around my rr. I was using the smoke units, and had topped them off before the run. Not really paying attention, the units must have run dry. Then, I noticed that the smoke was pouring out the top of the cab, along with a 2" flame!! E-stopped and quickly estinguished that fire. About 2 years later, I got around to ordering a replacement cab. Upon replacing the cab, I snipped the smoke unit wires! I was using MTH smoke fluid since that seems to smoke the best for me. I'm not the first to have a fire like this. A guy named Clay (who used to be very active on here) had one on his indoor overhead railroad in a GP 7. You would have thought I would have learned from his experience, but I guess sometimes, we need to learn for ourselves.

Maybe this is why USA is die casting their steamers. Nick, either way, don't let your un modificed USA smoke units run dry.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Thanks for the pics , now I can see that the firebox has rivits , there are springs and brake shoes etc , looks better to me now that I can see more detail .
Still wanting to see pictures of one out in the real world on a layout pulling cars . :D

·
Super Modulator
20,574 Posts
Just did several USAT (SD's and switchers) with same decoder and sound unit. I'd probably find a way to connect to the switch board plugs, and remove the "main board".... does it have a chuff switch?

Also, measure the full slip current, you might do fine with a D408.... (yes I know NCE does not warrant anything in a USAT loco except D808)...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Jim,
Is there a third circuit board inside the chassis by the front axle? Kind of looks like there is in the photos? I'm kind of curious how they are triggering the chuff.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Posted By Paul Burch on 09/18/2008 8:48 AM
Jim,
Is there a third circuit board inside the chassis by the front axle? Kind of looks like there is in the photos? I'm kind of curious how they are triggering the chuff.

Yes, there is a 3rd board for the chuff. BTW, the chuff connection has 3 wires, any idea as to why? I was thinking it would be a simple 2 wire reed switch.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 09/17/2008 5:25 PM
Just did several USAT (SD's and switchers) with same decoder and sound unit. I'd probably find a way to connect to the switch board plugs, and remove the "main board".... does it have a chuff switch?
Also, measure the full slip current, you might do fine with a D408.... (yes I know NCE does not warrant anything in a USAT loco except D808)...
Regards, Greg

Greg, I'm using the existing plus and simply inserting the Decoder in the track pickup wires. I'm using the 808 because I had one from a previous battery conversion. The engine draws about a 1/2 amp, (1 amp with smoke) freewheeling on rollers.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 09/22/2008 6:56 PM
So Jim, I guess there is enough room for the D808 w/o removinb any of the boards. That's good to hear.
Regards, Greg

No, there is not enough room for a D808 and a 2k2 without removing a board. The board I removed was the top one, which I thought was the sound board. Turns out it also somehow powers the lights. This didn't bother me because I connected the lights to the D808. I also cut a trace on the rear light PCB so I could control the cab light. I'll take pictures after I install the KD's. I talked to Phoenix yesterday about connecting the chuff sensor to the 2k2 and Phoenix had just received their Docksider, Jim said he should have an answer tomorrow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nick-
Thanks for the video.
Am I accurate the USA docksider is almost,. plus or minus, the same size as my B'mann 1:20 ( I think the fudged a little) 0-4-0 tank loco?

Thanks,
Wendell

21 - 34 of 34 Posts