G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to put in a double thumbs up plug for McMaster-Carr. I put in an order online yesterday at 4:00 PM and it arrived today at 1:00 PM. I know it's only from LA to Vegas, but those folks get stuff out the door in a hurry. Everything arrives well packed, individually wrapped, accurate, highest quality and ready to go.

What a great outfit.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Take care, Bob

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I have nothing but great things to say about them. I wish all vendors were so customer friendly!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I have been purchasing from McMaster-Carr for over 25 years. Used them for work related
Items as well as items for home use. They have always been a pleasure to deal with.
Get your order in the morning and if they have it in stock you will have it the next day.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Funny you mention McMaster-Carr--

Last night I went on Finescale Railroader (that's the magazine's site) and checked the modeling section, where a guy was showing off his ballast, which looked great. He said he made his own by crushing a chunk of rock, then straining it through different sieves, which you get from geology supply stores. Someone suggested McMaster-Carr, so I went there to find that they sell hardware cloth (window screen to us) in various sizes, so you can separate the stones by size. Pretty cheap too, if ya buy only small pieces.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John: Some roller bearings, metal stock, machine screws, springs. I get all my live steam building materials from them. They have a 4500 page catalog online that is very easy to use. They have machine screws and nuts that won't quit. Small tools. Metal stock of all kinds. Gears, bearings and machine parts of all sizes. I don't use plastic much, but they carry about 9000 lines of plastic materials. Modelers and scratchbuilders would go crazy with this outfit.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts