G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so the title was a little misleading.....I made a new model FROM an LGB ACF 50' boxcar.
The car I made is a Berwick built 50' boxcar that matches the prototype cars built in 1972 for the DT&I.

Here's the finished car:

Some mods I did were replacing the ends with scratchbuilt ones, new scratched lower side sill, new stirrup steps, ACI label bracket, Logo panel and rub strips, and making the extended cushion coupler pockets. I still need to add cut levers and airhoses.

Here's a picture of it after the mods but before I painted it.....if it's white or brass I made it

Enjoy!
Brian Briggs

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Good idea , great job

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
That a good looking car. Nice job. Wish someone would produce it. Later RJD

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Brian, great job as usual, i remember when i was in 2 rail o scale and you did a bunch of fantastic work on some atlas high cubes. i learned alot from you thanks..
Nick...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice work! What puzzles me is how some people can finish a job they start! I can never finish anything before I get started on something else. Then I loose interest in the other thing.
Do I need to see a doctor about this?

Little Paulie

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,

Thanks!

Burl, It's not anything prototypical (as your beautiful work is) I just made an extension plate for the kadee box.

Nick, does this mean you've come over to the dark side? If you want to see some real interesting modeling take a look in the archives here for a few of the gents above....they do some inspirational work.

Little Paulie, a lot of perseverance in many instances. I find it's best to commit to finishing one before I'll let myself start another. I used to be a non-finisher....and still have plenty of non finished projects, but fewer and fewer as I get older

Brian B.
DT&I 1980ish

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hear ya' Brian. My wife keeps asking me how she'll be able to sell all these unfinished items after I die! Maybe that's it, I can't die till I get this stuff done. If that's the case i should make it to 85 at least!

Little Paulie

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Brian

Very nice bash. It was especially helpful to include the unpainted modified picture as it gives us a good idea what you did.

Terl

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again guys,

Burl, It's actually easy to remove the ends. They are seperate pieces. To remove them you remove the roof (the horrible exposed screws at the eaves) and unscrew the ends from the inside of the car. It's actually a clever design - easy to replace.

Brian B.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
all of LGB modern cars were put together very simply. . Now I need to find a box car. these are fun projects, a car for a car. You don't loose anything by cutting one up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts