G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wandered into our favorite used bookstore in a little alley off Front Street in Lahaina, Maui, and got to chatting with the owner--about my hobby. She said, "Oh, here's a book you might like." Well, it was an out-of-print book by Gerald Best about the Sugar Cane Railroads of Hawaii. I turned to the chapter about the Pioneer Mill, which once served West Maui, and found a whole chapter with photos of the 30-inch gauge railroad that shuttled cane from the fields to the mill in Lahaina (mill's gone: tall chimney still stands). There were photos on neat little 0-4-0 saddle tankers and even an engine house. And this was just one of the dozens of railroad that once served Hawaii. 

Bottom line,t he book, which she bought off e-bay, I believe, costs $300, too rich for my blood.  Wouldn't it be great if someone did a reprint?

BTW, as MLS-er Kahuna knows, it might be neat to model a sugar cane railroad. The engines are small and cute, and can negotiate very sharp curves. Sugar cane fields wouldn't be too difficult to model (I'm thinkin' maybe Korean Grass). And there are some neat plantation-style buildings to model--out of wood and stone. Plus the stores in Lahaina and other old Hawaiian towns sport the kind of flase fronts you assocaite with the old west. And they are still standing and in use!

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I have found this to be the case with many historic Alaskan theme books as well, including several railroad-related ones specific to our region. Typically these kind of rare books seem to start at $300.00 and go up from there. There is one two-volume Alaska Railroad  book out there from the 1960s that brings in $1200.00, when one can find a copy of it!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I have that Sugar Cane Trains book; I bought it from a used book dealer in Kauai 3 years ago, for a very reasonable $200. I also bought another used book about the history of Hawaii railroads; both were well worth the price!!

There is a Colorado publisher reprinting some out-of-print books on Colorado railroads; I found quite a few reprints on classics such as the Crystal Springs RR from book dealers in the Glenwood Springs area (in-laws live there) for very reasonable prices. Don't know if they are available elsewhere or if any other titles are candidates for reprinting...

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
A couple other rare and excellent must have (if you can afford them) books:

Silver San Juan, The Rio Grande Southern, by Ferrel Mallory Hope (wish they'd reprint this one along with Suger Trains)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif 

Steam & Thunder In The Timber
, The Saga of the Forest Railroads, by Michael Koch  (I have this one, but only cause I got reeealy lucky on Ebay)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

Mexican Narrow Gauge, by Gerald Best, This ones available again for reasonable prices, for a while it was in wackyland also:rolleyes:

A couple books that I have but, I cannot beleive how much they can sell for./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/cry.gif

Model Railroading with John Allen, by Linn Hanson Westcott. (WoW prices!)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

HO Narrow Gauge Railroad You Can Build: A Narrow Gauge Project Railroad (building the San Juan Central)  by Malcolm Furlow (also WoW prices!)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Klambake should reprint them, they'd make a mint! the John Allen one especially.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts