G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was another Wednesday with Weltyk. While we try to be careful, every so often something like this happens.

So, keeping with our high safety standards, we decided to move the beer off the track. We forgot that the K-27 is a bit larger than most locomotives...

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Here are More pictures of Wed steamup http://picasaweb.google.com/weltyk/WedWeltyksJune1808

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Tom,
What a tragedy! Were you able to sop up some of the beer?
Wouldn't it be safer to move the K-27 off the track? Where are your priorities?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Another good reason to not drink whilst driving/training, or alcohol and fire do not mix!! LOL/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Apparently, this is a common practice at steam-ups all over the country..... beer drinking that is. However, this one was kept safe from the train. At the last minute the loco was pushed off the decking on to the ground before it hit the almost empty beer bottle. The train was seriously damaged, but the beer bottle was OK. Close one....

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Never had beer-train related distasters despite the "symbiotic" relationship of model trains and beer. As for the operators, the most model railroad fun I have ever had involved a boatload of Newcastle ale and my friend's large prewar tinplate O collection on a hardwood floor...

A friend did have a situation once with a Merc W126 S class in his shop that had a beer left on top of the battery or other flat surface and some other guy decided to slam the hood down.....bottles make "outie" dents before shattering apparently!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
You didn't have a straw handy ? It takes a while for the beer to soak in?
unbelievable!

Manfred Diel

·
Registered
620 Posts
Tom,
Great looking narrow gauge hopper cars in that train!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Whether or not it's a disaster depends on the quality of the beer. As long as it wasn't an ice cold Aussie beer, then no harm done. However, I am impressed to see beer glasses, you fellas are very civilised! Of course, I would expect nothing less from you Tom, running proper British Engines. :D

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Posted By SlateCreek on 06/19/2008 12:50 PM
What is that locomotive in the last photo, with the beer bottle? May just be the photo, but I don't know that I've seen one like it before.
Matthew (OV)

That is a highly modified k27 to represent a Oahu Railway loco...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in California wine country. A more likely disaster on my track is a wine glass placed carelessly in the right of way. Just this evening a scaled 1.5 foot diameter x 4.5 foot long wine bottle cork would have derailed my new Accucraft 4-4-0. if it hadn't been for the quick response of an alert bystander!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
If one was running an alcohol fired engine it is less likely to happen, we rather but the boiled spuds into the loco than the gut...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts