G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm off to NYC for work next week. I have to be in the office Monday morning for meetings, so I have to take the red-eye Saturday night. I have all day Sunday to kill.. I've considered a few things to do and am somewhat undecided.

1. Coney Island. I'd love to ride the Cyclone and down a Nathan's at the original spot. Not really interested in spending $25 for two rides on a roller coaster.
2. MTA Transit Museum. Might be interesting, but their website doesn't really make it sound like it's worth the trip. Anyone been there?
3. The Met or one of the other numerous museums in Manhattan.
4. Go see something on Long Island. I'll have a car since work is really in Garden City, out on Long Island. I can drive anywhere on Long Island or somewhere close by. (Considered the drive up to Newburg to see the OCC headquarters.)
5. Don't stay in NYC at all. The flights work out in a way that I could fly up to Boston and spend about 6 hours there and then fly back.

So I'm looking for suggestions here. If you had a day to kill in NYC or had access to Boston, what would you do? In the city, I'm limited in using public transit. I will have a car, but don't want to drive into the city if I don't have to. If I went up to Boston, I'm even further limited on transport.

I'm not really that interested in train shops per se.. I don't have the cash to spend, so train shops are a little depressing to visit. I will probably stop by Trainworld though, since one of my favorite seafood dive restaurants is just down the road. I stumbled upon it by accident one day. Bigelows

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
its supposed to be perfect weather this weekend on the East Coast. Go hang in the park. Get a falafel or a dog and an italian ice. People watch or go watch them run the RC boats on the boat (Conservatory) pond. If you get bored (hard to imagine) there is the Met on one side of the park and the museum of natural history (Night at the Museum) on the other.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Shad,

Boston is out. Too much extra time in an airplane too far from downtown to make it worthwhile. 4 hours ( well, 3 by the time you get out of Logan, and get back for 2 hours before to get through security...)

From Garden City, take the LIRR to Penn Station. There's a train every hour. From there, do the subway thing. Get a Metro Card. Its easy and I think if you buy 5 rides, you get one free.

NYC: There is a small transit museum in Grand Central Terminal. The Terminal is also a great place to people watch and check out some of Metro North's trains. There are a couple of restaurants that are a little pricey there, but you could sit and have a bite to eat and listen to the din. Even on a Sunday.

From Penn Station, its about a 20 minute walk. You could walk over 34th street to the Empire State Building. The ground floor has a brew pub. I think beer's not your thing, but their food was good the last couple of times I ate there. Go up to the top. Grand Central Terminal is 8 blocks north and two blocks east of the Empire State Building.

The Met is an all day walking event that is worth it. You will be tired from walking at the end of the trip, so wear comfortable shoes. I only went there once, but was absolutely blown away by Van Gogh's "Sunflower". The texture on the canvas is simply not transfered by a print. Another museum that is part of the Met but not well known is the Cloisters in Fort Tyron park. Take the A Train all the way to 190th street (it goes express above 125th street). This is a cool location, you'll have excellent views of the George Washington Bridge and the Hudson River. It is typically not very busy there, too.

My favorite thing to do in Manhattan lately is to go down to lower Manhattan, past where the WTC was, and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. This bridge is one of my favorites in the world, and the fact that you can walk across above the traffic, and actually have clear shots of Manhattan is fantastic. This is also near the ever touristy South Street Seaport. Also, the atmosphere down in that part of Manhattan are the real pulse of Manhattanites.

Or....

Since you live in a house full of women, and you might not get to watch too many male dominates sports, you might want to go to a baseball game. The Yankees are out of town, but the Mets are at home at Shea, for a 1:05 game. Right near Garden City, too. Be ready for crazy concession prices!

There you go, not too many train stores in that list. Most of it is pretty cheap (except the baseball game), too.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is like my 6th or 7th trip to NY.. I've already walked around all the stations and did the empire state bldg. Melony and Kenzie went with me in Nov and we went to the statue of liberty and ellis island.

I just looked into tickets for the mets.. Too rich for my pocketbook right now. Funny thing though, we also have an office in Queens that overlooks flushing meadows. I can look out the windows of the 7th floor and get a great view of manhattan and the meadows..

Sounds like the Met is a good bet. IT closes at 5:30 on Sunday. After close, I can ride the subway down to the Brooklyn Bridge. A walk across isn't too bad of an idea.. Then I'll head back out to the hotel in Garden City.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Hmm. Shad loose in NYC...

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Shad,

CNJ live steam "club" is only about an hour south on the parkway from NYC. You are more than welcome to come down and spend the day visiting fellow train junkies and running trains. I have 2 garden layouts, one elevated and a ground track to run on. Charles Bednarik and others will be there. If interested please contact both Charles and myself offline for directions, I stink at checking my email acount I listed on MLS.....

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts