G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this Forum, and others, we have read about items of railroad equipment that have been stolen to satisfy some peoples greed.
Whatever you may have thought about that, this particular news item puts those thefts into the shade.
I post the link so that you may read the BBC story of the despicable crime these sub-human people have perpetrated.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7482668.stm
There have been many comments about the punishment these morons should receive.
My view is that they should be kitted out in military uniform and sent to Afghanistan to join the US, UK and other troops that are putting their lives on the line - just as those mentioned on the plaques did all those years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Alan,

What is worse is that some scrap dealer will accept those plaques and melt them down. That is a real shame and I hope the perpatrators are caught and prosecuted.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
The problem isn't so much that scrap dealers will take it, but that the thiefs probably melted them down to turn in, making them unrecognizable as to the origin of the metal.

Send them overseas without the kits or training.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Nah, just drop them off halfway to France, if you know what I mean.....

Greedy selfish SOBs

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
If the individuals responsible for the thefts are identified, captured, tried and convicted.

Personally, I don't feel that they deserve the privilege of serving with fellow countrymen serving their country in the military.

I surely wouldn't want to place any additional burden on those honorable men and women, with having to constantly keep an eye on individuals that couldn't be counted on to have the character necessary.

No, I feel that their sentence should address their crime directly.[*]If it is found that any or all of the plaques have been destroyed.[*]The sentence should require that the individual(s) be responsible for reproducing them at a level of quality equal to the originals.

No, I don't mean just pay to have them reproduced. I mean in addition to being responsible for all costs involved, physically execute the work involved in reproducing them, under the supervision of individuals that possess the knowhow because I doubt the individuals responsible for the crime would have the skill-set required.[/list][*]After all of the plaques have been restored, next.[*]The sentence would require that guilty individuals would be physically responsible for reinstalling all the plaques to there proper place of display. Once again under the supervision of individuals that know how.[/list][*]Lastly, the sentence should require.[*]The individual(s) would be physically responsible for performing the general maintenance at each of the monuments where each of the plaques reside, for the next ten years.[/list][/list]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Some people are so inconsiderate and will do absolutely ANYTHING to make a buck! Unbelievable!
Down here in Az, just like im sure in a lot of other places people will steal the FDC (fire department connections) off of buildings to turn in the brass. Even better is that they will climb up telephone poles to steal the copper out of transformers- which to their dismay, never turns out like they think it will. They normally end up in the burn unit with life threatening injuries.
Which goes to show that people just dont care. They care only about the short term, not the long term or the feelings or safety of anyone else.
What is this world coming to!? :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Part of why they changed the law and now anyone here in Tennessee has to provide ID and an address to sell scrap metal.

Unfortunately, this sort of thing has happened before in the UK, in a magazine for my other hobby, someone was restoring some one off Jaguar with an aluminum body. Someone broke into the lock up where the car was and stole all the bodywork for "the few quid" they body would bring.

G

·
if i were a judge, SteveC's idea would be very tempting to me.
but i might want to fall back on old and corporal methods of punishment too...

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Glad to hear that at least one has been recovered.

To bad that the scrap dealer didn't give the individual an up close and personal demonstration of one of the scrapping processes, crushing or chipper comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Posted By SteveC on 07/02/2008 8:24 AM
Glad to hear that at least one has been recovered.

To bad that the scrap dealer didn't give the individual an up close and personal demonstration of one of the scrapping processes, crushing or chipper comes to mind.

I like your idea Steve. I think it is a fitting punishment. I think it has been done before.

I remember many many many years ago back in the 70's There were two rival biker gangs. Gang A was running a chop shop near Kankakee ILL

Gang A stole something from Gang B. Gang B went to the chop shop and stuck a few of Gang A's members in the trunk of some cars and sent them through the machine that makes 4 ft cubes out of cars.

It was Ugly

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
well as cruel as it may sound I would be in favor of this and heck I would build the fire to do it
BRAND them right on the forehead and both hands (palms and backhand)
Brand them with 3 little words
" IM A THIEF"
nuff said?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts