G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Michael's Crafts with the Wife today. While she was getting a frame for a needlepoint thingy she just finished, I was wandering through the aisles looking for stuff that could be used 'round these parts'.

I looked at the small tools, some 1/24 scale model cars and trucks, all manner of lil bits and pieces..

Then I ambled into an aisle full of Christmas decor, you know the little villages that sit atop your cabinets and tables during the season..

I was drawn to the accessories for said villages... and to what to my wander eyes should appear...... FIGURES.. LAMP POSTS.... CLOCK TOWERS.... BRICK AND STONE SIDEWALKS.... all roughly 1:24......

I was amazed.. all theese goodies would WORK on my layout...
I was especially thrilled with the streetlights...
A) They work
B) They'll look great with my Depot
C) They were $5.00 for four...

The company is called Lemax, here, I'll save yout the trouble of looking them up..
http://www.lemaxcollection.com/index.jsp

They are available at Michael's Crafts adn elsewhere I'm sure...

Anyone else ever heard of these guys?

Cheers
Dave.

·
Registered
350 Posts
We have been buying Lemax for our Christmas layout for a couple of years now at Michaels. Watch for their lit Christmas trees, they look good in a station near a window.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Lemax is cool, about half my figures are from them...

[url]http://www.catfish-hollow.com/P1040004.JPG[/b][/url][/b]
Image exceeds 640 pixel max width - converted to link - Mod

I really like this one. (and not just because Kim gave it to me)

Most of my trees came from Michaels as well -- on clearance the day after Christmas...

OTOH the michaels around here no longer carry any of the shadowbox stuff that they had just 4 or so years ago...there was LOTS of nifty stuff to be found in that section

·
Registered
688 Posts
They are a great find, only one word of caution, they break down quick in the sunlight (UV). The lit Christmas trees are waaaay cool too!! I wonder if a coat of krylon clear would slow down the breakdown? At any rate enjoy them they are fun models.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Micheal's is a great place for all sorts of stuff. I was just there today since its right next to a Lowes where I was picking fence panels. I bought a few plywood sheets there and a few other things. Its the best place for acrylic paints and brushes too.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I love Michael's!

You have to watch the scale on some items, but there are some treasures there. Borrow a ruler from a couple rows down and you'll have no trouble picking the right ones. Only trouble is, I model summertime.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Michaels, AC Moore, and Joannes Fabrics have great halloween and Christmas figures/decorations, but my best buys were at the dollar store on street lights.

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
Head for the other end of the store, and you'll find displays of random 'stuff', some for collages, some for decoration. There are miniature bottles with labels (e.g. Coke.) Small wooden furniture, collections of pots and pans, etc. The scales are all over the place, but some of the stuff works.

A few aisles over are tiny pins, chain and other useful tools. (I use the pins as boltheads. My floor is littered with 1/4" pin-points without heads!) I found a set of pliers designed for wire work, including the hard-to-find pointed curve pliers. Oh yes - they have reels of copper and other wire in various colors (pink anyone?)

There's an extensive array of bass and balsa wood, plus aircraft plywood down to a few mm. And glues. Next to the plastic kits are paints, of course, but further on are extensive displays of acrylic paints in every shade imaginable.
You need a few hours to investigate all the stuff they have and to think of uses for it.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Posted By Torby on 09/30/2008 5:07 AM
Only trouble is, I model summertime.

So do I... you just have to peruse all the collections (if you look just under "figures" there are 47 pages!). Most of the halloween stuff is unuseable unless you have a model fun house, but I found a set of pieces of people having a cookout, and as I showed the teens sharing a soda, the kids playing football, the teeter totter, etc.

Around here Pool City has more Lemax stuff after Halloween than Michaels. KMart also usually has a BUNCH....and not just the Christmas stuff ;)" align="absmiddle" border="0" />

Some other pieces you might be able to use with little or no mods (for transition era & later summer layout) are the janitor #82500, Kids w/ Tommy Tiger #82502, puddle jumper #82514, Going Steady #82516, Learning to Ride #82517, Our first TV #82518, Afternoon Picnic #72407, Soccer Season #72408, Lunch for Bessie #72418...and that was just the first 7 or so pages.

·
Registered
30 Posts
At Lowes they have put up their christmas stuff and the bldg. and figures are made by lemax just boxed differently....I just cant get in the christmas spirit in Sept.  But if you don't buy it now it will be gone because they usually don't restock....like they say when it is gone it is gone....

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Boy do I know Michaels ...
I go there almost everyday, that is, to drop Ms Rocky off for work as she works there ;)
Not only do I find cool stuff too, but I get a family discount as well :D Yep, I got tons of stuff from there including a couple hundred wooden barrels that I stained with a staining pen to use for the barrel factory that used to be on the old layout. Loads of good materials, glues, paints can be found there. And don't forget to check your local paper or shopping news because they usually have 25 or 40 percent off coupons you can use to save some extra $$$ too :)

Rocky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts