G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few of us Jerzee boys took the day off work to go to dinner with some friends in VA. Of course before dinner we took advantage of the track and ran trains all day.

This is what you have to wear when you hit things from the rear.

Thanks again Jim for having up over..

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
J, it looks like everyone and their engines had a great day. Which one of you owns the NC 4-4-0? It has a nice long train in tow.
The ice is finally off my track, so Llyn and I enjoyed an afternoon of steaming last week. A frost heave under the porch lattice has reduced clearance, so the stacks of my 4-4-0 and his K wouldn't fit, but the RH 2-6-2 had a great run with five J&S coaches.

Maybe Spring has finally arrived.

Larry

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Larry the 4-4-0 is mine. Pretty stock, have new bushings on all the rods and the new crosshead pin. Retimed everythng after the changes and it proves to be a very smooth runner.

Hopefully this year I'll get up there to your place. May try and get up there with my father in May to open up and pull the boat out of storage. Much easier then towing it back home every year. 150.00 in gas each way. July is usually the best time to get up there.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Larry

The 4-4-0 is Jason's, it was pulling a fairly long train made up of box cars with ball bearings on the wheels. Even so, the little engine really pulls.

George

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Jason K / George Z

Thanks for the photos. Would have been more interesting being outside running with you guys in stead of sitting at the computer working most of the day. On the other hand, it was a lot warmer in the office than out on the track.

Also thanks to you guys we didn't have to do any "track fixing " yesterday when Jon Kling was over running. We had a 33 car freight behind his K-28.

Glad you two and dan could get the day off to come down and do some extra "track testing".

Regards

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Looks like you guys had a great day. there are some really nice plumes in the images. The 4-4-0 looks like a great puller, even if the cars had ball bearings.

How did the Royal Hudson run?

Mike

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Mike

My Royal Blue/Stainless Steel Royal Hudson is one of my best running engines. It runs great and pulled about 30 freight cars around Jim's layout without any trouble. Then when we double headed Dan's Daylight and my Royal Hudson it ran well for a while but since their different engines and difficult to synch together after 20-25 minutes the Daylight ended up pulling my Royal Hudson. Since the Royal Hudson wasn't working very hard and had very little draft up the smoke stack the alcohol fire went out and it lost pressure. We figured out for next time I should have left the blower on a little to help keep up the fire.

Anyway, it's a great engine probably one of Accucraft's best right out of the box. In fact I liked it so much I purchased a second one "As Run Now" in Candian Pacific Red with the Stainless Steel boiler a short time later.

George

1 - 12 of 12 Posts