G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I looked at different models of F and E series cabs, I saw many different shapes of windshields, so I went down to the local museum and asked if I could climb up to take a tracing of the windshield of an F7's windshield, and after explaining that I was a model builder and wanted an accurate shape of it he agreed. I brought the tracing home and on my garage floor, identified x and y positions of starts and stops of all radii and in Turbocad made a full scale drawing. I am in the process of scaling to 1:32. The windshield consists of 8 radii and two straight lines, and after drawn, yep, it looks just like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It's a very hard shape to duplicate correctly.

I consider the Highliners (Athearn Genesis) F unit in HO scale to be the best rendition.

In large scale surprisingly I think the LGB F7 window shape is best. Although other parts of the model seem to be way off. USA's F3 window shape is pretty bad in my opinion. Not familiar with MTH enough to say. The Great Trains F7 looks pretty good from the few photos I've seen.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The MTH is way off, I am going to try to correct it, that's why I have gone to such lengths to get the correct shape. Another problem is when a drawing is made in a vector program, such as AutoCAD or TurboCad, when it is printed, it must be the same as drawn, same scale as drawn, so when trying to duplicate the drawing, it is accurate. I think I have solved that problem, when printing the drawing out, no matter what scale, I will draw a 1 inch square somewhere in the drawing, and then if the one inch square is actually 1 inch, then the drawing should be accurate, thanks for your comments, Bob. San Juan, I looked at your layout pictures, they are great, you do good work, I can see that you are an avid train lover like me, keep up the good work. Maybe someday, I can finish some of my engines and cars and start on a layout.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts