G Scale Model Train Forum banner
721 - 725 of 725 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #721 ·
Thanks both! I decided to run cinder blocks under my track at 2 foot intervals with ballast in between. I had the block sitting around... :)
Lots of block and digging unless you are planning to back-fill once track is in place. Just pickup 400 more pounds of Type S mortar so should be able to finish second coat on the north side mountain. It takes about 60 pounds to do a section from base to peak 12 inches wide.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #722 ·
Going thru the thread I found photos of Dirk, John, JJ and Chuck giving the site a test run in March 2016. How time flies. The only issues where the RC interference from the Ft. Huachuca Testing sites and Dirk's loooooooooooong train uncoupling on the tighter, 10' diameter curves around the mine area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! This is the first time I have seen such a large railway. I showed your work to my son, he liked it, on the weekend we will go for building materials and make a similar railroad to ourselves in the backyard.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #725 ·
I built mine above ground level to help save my back. Well once all the wall block were in place anyway. Depending on how old your son is you might not have to. I didn't put measurements on the site but it's 100' by 60' at the bump out

721 - 725 of 725 Posts