G Scale Model Train Forum banner
701 - 720 of 725 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 ·
Just checked and it's been over 2 years since I posted anything. Lots more landscaping done since then. Will post photos soon.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #704 ·
Mostly working on "mountains" and repairing trestle where LARGE dog didn't quite make it all the way over. Also putting down weed block where ever I can. Paid to bail out my PhotoBucket account so should be able to post pics again.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #705 ·
After a long break

With other things going on I didn't do much on the site other than pull weeds for quite awhile. We got a new "puppy" (130 pounds of Great Pyrenees) so I fenced in the site after the second time he didn't quite clear the trestle while chasing the Pug-Beagle(Pugel).

A local metal shop was happy to make this shelf for me and get a break from building fences. Stiffened up the corner and the trestle survived the 40 mph plus winds we had this past month. Rebar is the start of the frame for a twin mountain with open track between the two peaks. Double arms length tunnels under the mountain so I can reach trains that might have an issues on the 12' curve.

I dug down 4 inches in the upper dirt area, put down weed block, screened the dirt to remove rocks and gravel greater than 1/4 inch, put in new edges of block and real rocks, then replaced the dirt. With that as a desired base color I went to Lowe's and attempted to get paint that was at least close. To my surprise it turned out fairly close, and I've been painting Wolf Mountain and the areas of wall that had the finish coat of cement in place.

As part of my wall work I decided to put in a road from the "To Be" town up to the "To Be" ranch and farm area. It goes under the bridge and up 3 switchbacks (about 6% grade) to the upper level. A bit hard to see but should look better when painted.

After getting the road in place I started on the east tunnel entrance of the mountain that curves around the northwest corner of the site. Interesting build as this has tunnels on two levels like Wolf Mountain. Lower tunnel is for the outer loops and the other is for the grade from the flats, under the observation area, around the mine and through Wolf Mountain to the trestle.

More to follow and hopefully not another two years.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I've been away from my mountain for 4 months, but I did beat another lung cancer, so I can't complain.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dirk's passing

I am way late getting this news, and just today I was thinking about Dirk while watching a video of UP 4014 passing through Dragoon and wondering if he was watching.
I met him many years ago, while working on Rick the Railroad guys attempt at the worlds longest train. We stayed in touch for a long time, but I usually commented on some of his posts here.
Can someone tell me a little more about his passing. I considered him a good friend.
Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #708 ·
Bottino,
Better late than never. Dirk lived about an hours drive from me in Dragoon, AZ. I dropped by and left a note after feeding the cats. That evening his son called and told me Dirk was in the hospital in Tucson. I visited and he barely recognized that he knew me. He had numerous small tumors in his brain and passed away 10 days later, surrounded by ex-wife, son and daughters.

·
Registered
700 Posts
He was a great guy, full of cool ideas.

Greg
Yes he was. He loved attention to detail. I remember working on an SD40-2 and he was pushing me to build a prototypical coupler pocket detail. At the time I didn't. Last week I replaced a ditch light and added the coupler detail. I'm sure he's looking down saying finally :)

Crazy to think he's been gone over three years now, miss him still.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #712 ·
I've been away for awhile, like 2 years, but got busy several months ago when the grandkids were scheduled to visit. Back in May 2019 I started to build a mountain to cover the metal tray that replaced wooden trestle bents after the second time that section of trestle got blown over. The photo back then shows the chicken wire and rebar in place at the south end of the curve. Since then it went for one large mountain with 7' tunnel to two connected mountains with a shoulder between them. (Shoulder is a nice name for access to trains if needed.) Another addition is the Howe Truss bridge east of the mountain. The bridge and two others were a gift from another Sierra Vista resident that has down sized his layout. He showed up at the house and asked if I could use a couple of bridges I'm still looking for his card to have him drop by and see the reused bridge. Took photos and will get them downloaded and attached soon.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #714 ·
This a road I made after the unfinished hillside washed out. Following photos are of the Twin Peaks mountain covering the metal corner of the trestle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What a huge project! That is going to be quite the layout once finished. Thanks for sharing pictures!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #716 ·
Thanks. It's a never-finished work in progress. I actually ran trains on all three loops this past week when granddaughters were here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, this whole thread is just amazing!
Question: what did you use to lay the track on in the early stages? It looks like reddish brown bricks but it isn't brick. Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #718 ·
Hey, this whole thread is just amazing!
Question: what did you use to lay the track on in the early stages? It looks like reddish brown bricks but it isn't brick. Thanks!
The outer walls are made of "Pavestone" 4 by 12 wall block (Lowe's or Home Depot) I can't recall the color but it was a combo of red, brown, and black. The block isn't square so makes it easier to do curves etc. The wall around the inner "mine" area is regular concrete block that was covered with the same chicken wire and mortar method that I use for my mountains, I can't remember who wrote the "How To" article called "Making Concrete Mountains" but it still be available.
The raised ground level track is supported by a ladder system of 2" pvc pipe with Trex screwed into the pipe to support the track. There are several threads elsewhere in MLS on how to build that type of support.
Alan

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #719 ·
If you scan back to page 5 of this thread it shows the ladder system being put down before the raised bed was back-filled to the top of the outer wall

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks both! I decided to run cinder blocks under my track at 2 foot intervals with ballast in between. I had the block sitting around... :)

701 - 720 of 725 Posts