G Scale Model Train Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Scott, thank you. While air driven fans were working well, I didn't feel secure that the system would be durable. The little fans are sitting on needle point in a small pool of graphite and each fan is unique to it's position in the air duct due to different baffles. Seeing how well the toy motor worked in the baby shark, I installed them in the big one. Outwardly looks the same but I feel this system will endure, and is more likely to stay in sync.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Something as minor as adding cab ladders, can lead to major adjustments if not noticed early enough in a build/bash. The truck leaf springs struck the ladder on very sharp curves. Could have ground the leaf springs thinner but didn't like that idea. Decided to move the front truck fwd by 3/16". Doing that brought the side frame dangerously close to the front cowl, so a minor adjustment was made there also. Happy with the outcome, and no detail was sacrificed.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Something as minor as adding cab ladders, can lead to major adjustments if not noticed early enough in a build/bash. The truck leaf springs struck the ladder on very sharp curves. Could have ground the leaf springs thinner but didn't like that idea. Decided to move the front truck fwd by 3/16". Doing that brought the side frame dangerously close to the front cowl, so a minor adjustment was made there also. Happy with the outcome, and no detail was sacrificed.
Looking great!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Bill, you know as well as I, have to be creative in builds/bashes. Which brings up?? How's yours 'Misler' coming along?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not too good, with my back problems and the weather just haven't felt like doing much, I did start on the battery car and have a lid made for it to cover the battery and and electronics trying for a junk/scrap car look should come out neet if i ever get going on it. Hoping the beginning of the year brings a little pain relief and will be able to focus on the task at hand, be safe, BB

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nick, with the ladder adjustment. That's fair enough as modelling like in the real world of construction you have to make adjustments / allowances to achieve the final result that works.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Bill, very sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, can only hope 21 is a better year for you.
Scott & Noob, thank you for the encouragement. Broke another plastic add on ladder with just normal handling. Definitely need to make brass ones.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
They are a little bigger than the ones I made for the tugs, but still frustrating. A 'resistance' soldering unit would have made it much easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yup, sometimes you have to make them a little oversize for durability. Fine detailing is awesome and fiddly not to mention at times fragile. So you have to balance fidelity with practicality.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
noob, thank you for thinking of the Shark. I was side tracked with a couple of small fun things, but back on track. Got paint from TruColor which will match my older locomotives. Right now in the process of gathering fittings to allow me to charge up a one gallon high pressure portable tank so I don't have to use cold air from the garage. Mount regulator and use my air brush, which has been sitting for about 10 years. Should have a test spray in a couple of days, my first time using Trucolor, all advice will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Did a couple of test sprays so far, each time adding box car brown to the Tuscan to darken it down. I think I am very close, The Trucolor is very easy to use without diluting and to my surprise the air brush functioned flawlessly. Interesting find: The portable air tank is actually 7 gal. I charged it up with cold air (about 30F, + or -) to 80 lbs pressure. Brought it inside to reach room temp. 4 hours later the pressure rose to almost 100. Not wanting it to reach critical (120) over night I dropped the pressure back down to 80. In the morning pressure was back up to 90. I should have plenty of air to paint with.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts