G Scale Model Train Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Robert, thank you. The fans were both fun and frustrating at the same time. Baffles in the box direct the air upward under 2 fans. Attached to the bottom of 2 fans are tiny pieces of tape limiting the amount of air into the fan blades to get them to all spin at the same rate. And they have to be in the same order, switching any of them throws the whole synk off. What really brought them out was darkening every other blade. I was frankly surprised that it worked as well outside the controlled enviro of the shop. Wondering what effect installing the windows will have? LiG

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Jerry, thank you. Rob told me he detailed a loco that the windshield wipers worked, Super Details. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Robert, no rattle cans for this one, going to blow the dust off the air brush. Sound system came in the mail yesterday, going to rain today so should have time to play with that. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
USAT Smooth side cars: some time ago I removed the wheel pick up's, installed flanged BB's in the side frames (much easier as they had more meat than the PA side frames), LED for lighting with an gell cell in the Mail car. They roll away at the slightest off bubble of the track. So easy to pull even the Baby Shark walked away with all 6 cars. no wheel slippage. ANYWAY, here it is, A-1-A with a sound system and lighted cars.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Passenger cars have class, and as you said RR's kept them updated and clean.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Bored the roof for the fan installation. Interesting observation: The fan I am using for this one was made for an Aristocraft E8. It is almost an exact duplicate of the ones I used on the big one that were for the USAT F3. The only difference appears to be the number of fan blades. F3 has 8 and the E8 has 10.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Worked on the front lighting. At the hobby shop I picked up a clear plastic rod, made head lamp lenses. Using Evans products fiber rod, slightly melted the ends for marker lights. Using all 3V LED's with a voltage limiter.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nick, lights came out nice, while doing one for my mini heisler I found that different LED's produce lights in different directions and ones powering a vertical mounted were better using side light and visa versa for straight on like yours. Are you changing the color of the engine to look like the passenger cars or going with the lighter color? BB

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Bill, for the number boards I am using the scattered light from an LED mounted on the rear wall of the fwd compartment. Enough to light boards without producing an intense directional light like the head lamp. It is still in primer, actually dreading painting as I posted previously have a very limited amount of Tuscan Red.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I just couldn't help myself, the Baby Shark also had to have a moving fan. I found a 3V 100RPM motor on line and connected it to the same circuit I am using for the LED's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Made a little more progress. The number boards are layers of clear plastic adhered to make blocks, then ground to fit into the openings. The numbers are part of the decals that Stan Cedarleaf printed months ago. As you can see his work it top notch.

Attachments

81 - 99 of 99 Posts