G Scale Model Train Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Bill & Winn, thank you. He's a great little guy, and yes from a shelter. He actually rescued me. He's 1 and now I remember why I wanted only Adult or Senior, but wouldn't trade him for anything. The fans need a little tweaking, but over all happy with how they came out. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Jerry, thank you. I made the first air duct from a cereal box bottom to test the viability and baffle positions until I got them all to start and stop close together. Made a more permanent one from plastic, removable for maintenance of the fan. Testing showed that the best LOOK was using 6V for the operation. Also, FLEX SHOT worked well to adhere the small box to the casting.
LiG.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Scott, thank you. Rob who cast the shell told me he once made a diesell that the windshield wipers worked, that is super detailing. LiG

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mate, that is super functionality especially for a smaller scale.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
He also added that since diesels don't have the rod motion of a steamer feature movement gives the model life. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Scott, thank you for forwarding, Very interesting story, don't know of that being done anywhere else. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Rob advised me to try and make the fans run as slow as possible so they can be seen. With limited control of the supply fan, and the roof fans having 8 blades they were a blur. A little trick on the eyes, I darkened every other blade, I will do the others next time. LiG.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Jerry, thank you. I darkened the other fans. I decided on track power and am now putting finishing touches on the circuit the drives the supply fan. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Installed an adjustable voltage limiter, access to adjustment is through the heat generater exhaust. Assembled a simple circuit so the drive fan gets 4.5V and the fans spin, the drive motors are still idle till the track voltage reaches almost 6. No matter the train speed the fan speed is constant. LiG

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
That is neat, I use these from gfhappyboy on Ebay too control 5 volt smoke units and throw in a 100 ohm resistor for head lights and flickering fire box and they work great. I particularly like the way you slowed down the fans by just painting ever other fan blade, good looking engine

-

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Bil, thank you. I do get a good idea once in a while. I thought of cutting the blades off, but those little fans are centered on a pin point and even the slightest imballance would throw them off and wouldn't spin. LiG

·
Registered
316 Posts
Really nice and desirable. I don't understand why the big companies never produced a g scale version of this.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Noob, I assume they felt there many not have been enough demand for it to be profitable. Today it may be an even bigger gamble. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Fence project is complete, so back to the Shark. So far headlamp and marker lights. The marker lights are using dual color LED's, Red or Green depending on polarity of the circuit. Have LED's for the number boards also. LiG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
First run outside, very happy with it. One more detail should arrive today or tomorrow.
Life is Good

61 - 80 of 99 Posts