G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw the Sharks that some built and I like them. Being a PRR fan as you know from my past builds I decided on the A-1-A, only PRR had them. Rob of the UK produced the shells, and I got two. My project is mainly cutting and splicing, etc. After the first cuts, just fooling around pushed a couple of the pieces together to see what a shortie looked like. It got a life of it's own, couldn't put it down.
NOTE: The A-1-A was actually 6" longer than the GG1, but due to the grill details my model will be about 1" shorter than the USAT GG1. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jerry, thank you. I only did that to play. I need that truck for the full sized one. If I were going to make a permanent one I'd use two axle trucks I have, would also lower the body about 3/8 inch. LiG
EDIT: after measuring, the short shark is too short for 2 Aristo trucks. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill, thank you for the tip. Played with it a little more. Took Jerry's advice and moved the truck back a little and also lowered it some. Figured it would be good practice for when I build the big one. LiG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill,Thank You, I found when the body was lowered to the height of the F3's I have to shave a little off the bottom of the pilot to keep it off the rails. Learned a few things while lowering this one that will help me with the big one. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the height correct for the scale, modified the pilot for the coupler and it works. I am getting attached to the little guy and have a feeling it is going to get a shelf. All I learned working on this will make working the big one easier as I've already made those mistakes. Maybe if they run together it will be an A-a unit. LiG.
https://youtu.be/yzLLEPpwfP4.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Get out of the water! A short white Shark has been sighted!!!

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John, willl be white for a while. I have an unopened bottle of FloQuil Tuscan red, and found another one on line, he said the last he had. After the big one is finished and painted hopefully have enough to make this one match. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slowed on the Shark a bit due to spring duties. Today I received an incentive to go full throttle, the decals from Stan, works of art. I also found an unopened bottle of Flo Quil Tuscan Red on my shelf, also found one on line and not wanting to run out sent for it. Same formula number, but different color. The more brown one is a match to the USAT and Aristo Craft products. LiG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jerry, yea, a string of those un powered Eggliners tagging along behind the shorty. LiG

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Far: Cut out and relocated fans to proper location, same with roof panels and walks. Each shell was cast using a different color material, I used some white plastic pieces and two different fillers. All that can make the irregularities no so obvious. Primed. Very satisfied with all but one small area, easy fix. LiG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Bill, thank you. I filled in that one irregularity, super fine sanded the body and giving it another coat of primer. Next step will be the undercarriage and bolsters that hold the power trucks. Going to copy what USAT did on the F3's. LiG.
EDIT: found another area that needs a little more attention. LiG

1 - 20 of 98 Posts