G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've built two 9fs and both now work really well except for what seems to be a leak in one of the cylinder drain valves. I've adjusted the closed and open position dozens of times but cannot fix the leak which manifests itself as small puffs of steam from just one of the ports. The drains work when open and this is just an irritant but, like most irritants, the more I fiddle with it, the more irritated I become! I was wondering whether any other 9F builders had encountered the same problem and what the fix might be - I suspect that the hole drilled int he cylinder to take the valves is slightly out of specification but, if it is, it's outside the accuracy of my plastic micrometer!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Hi,

Mine does the same, one side is completely sealed the other a very slight wisp of steam, I only notice this due to being winter /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

Tony

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point - I now live in cold, damp Washington State and see steam leaks all the time. In warm, dry California I hardly ever saw a leak! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
If that's the side that leaks it's the same side as mine. I have been informed that the slight leak will not lose any performance and I can vouch for that as mine pulls 12 coaches with ease:D

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I built a 9F for a friend recently and noticed a small leak in the cylinder cock system too. Since the engine builds steam pressure quickly, makes plenty of steam in operation and easily pops off, I don't consider it worth bothering with. The soon to be released GN S-2 has such an efficient boiler, it can be run with a full load of cars and the cocks open and still be popping off. I haven't seen its drain cocks leak, but who cares with that much steam-producing capabiity?

Ross Schlabach

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Robert

One or two customers have mentioned this but I haven’t witnessed this effect myself. The only thought I have had is that there may be a bit of ‘lost motion’ since there are quite a lot of linkages in the drain valve system. If you could spot a particular component that is a bit looser than desired then this could be replaced.

Just my 2cents

AsterUK

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting. I have just air tested my 9F chassis and discovered that one of my drain valves was leaking a little. When I was assembling the cylinder I was aware that one of the valves was very stiff. I 'cured' this by cleaning up the valve spindle a little with fine emery cloth - it now moves as freely as the other one but does have this small leakage.
Relieved to hear that it does not interfere with performance and adds to the prototypical appearance!

Bob Carter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts