1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
A Very Sad day in our Histroy.... GOD BLESS the USA!!! Never Forget!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
A-Men !

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
So where were you?

Seven years ago I was un-employed and was planning on getting married the end of the month. I ahd taken my wifes car to the garage (again) to get it inspected. One of the dealership employees came in to tell us to change to a news station as the towers had been hit by a plane. All of us thought a little plane until we switched channels. I was forced to sit and watch until they finished up the inspection which they failed for the second time finding a new batch of times to fail it on some of which I had just fixed telling me they did not do an inspection. I took it someplace lese and have not been back since. I went home to try to call my mother who was in the DC area at teh time and my sister who was in the Boston area and flew often for work then. My Aunt was also in the Pittsburgh area but not near that plane crash. It was hours until I could get a hold of them. I had an appointment at NY state Job services but as I found out when I went to it that all Governmental buildings & services were closed. My wife was a teacher at the time but they did not close school. It was bizarre. the next few weeks were a blur with preparations for our wedding in place. The only change was to the honeymoon cruise. We ahd to be at the airport several hours earlier than originally planned. Life has not been the same since then and will never be again.

My the families of everyone affected be consoled and blessed.

Chas

·
Registered
74 Posts
Unfortuanatly I will never get that day out of my memory. I remeber being woken up by a neighbor calling the house and telling me to turn on the TV. She said to me that the country was under attack. I held my wife and baby son as we watch the story unfold on television. I hope that my children and my grandchildren never have to deal with anything like this in there lifetime.

Thank you to all the men and women fighting around the world and here at home to protect the most valuable posession we all have..... Our Freedom!

God Bless the USofA!!!

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Chas,

I'll never forget how crystal clear the sky was that morning. At the end of a long hot summer, that was one of the first really nice, clear days we had. The previous weekend, we had celebrated the future arrival of the next generation of my family with a surprise baby shower for my sister-in-law. My sister had flown down from Boston the previous Saturday, and we had a lot of fun that weekend. If I recall correctly, that weekend and that Monday had been really hazy hot and humid. However, that Tuesday was beautiful.

About 8:30, I went out to the shop to work on getting an extruder running. MB called me, but I think I missed her call. Anyway, after a few minutes of phone tag, I got ahold of her. She was watching the Today show, and saw it all happen live. Information was spotty that day, and I wasn't able to get much work done at all. The radio station we were listening to was our only real source of info, since MSN.com was jammed up pretty bad.

In subsequent months and years, I have visited the site in lower Manhattan, but I can't picture the towers anymore. I took some clients to Manhattan for the day in January of 2002, and we went to the WTC site. Many of the home made 'missing' posters were still up then. They had also started to hand out tickets for times to look at the site. I was near the site again in the summer of 2007, but now it is a construction site. I kind of wonder what happened to all those posters. Perhaps they will end up like all the baggage I saw at the Aushwitz II camp in Poland. Just heaped up on top of each other.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I was drinking morning coffe on the back porch. The window was open and TV on the news. I heard a pipe cub ran into the WTC.
I went in and watched for a while. I saw the second plane hit. I saw them fall. I didn't believe it. I thought I was seeing things.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I was working framing house near HILL AIR FORCE BASE. i didnt realize no fighter jet in air no airline in air! we didnt have radio where we working. After end of the day, as I was leaving work, I called my mother to tell her I was coming home! She tell me " You have watchman TV?" I say yeah... she say :Turn your TV on.." i was watching it. I didn't believe what was going on about Airline crash into WTC. It's a very sad day, indeed.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
We had just driven for a day and a half across country, from Salt Lake City to Blomington Illinois to visit my In-laws. We arrived late in the eveninh on the 10th... I slept in late on the 11th. When I awoke and came downstairs everyonje was silent adn glued to the TV watching it all unfold on live television.... We never left the house that day..

Glad we drove though... we'd have not gotten home for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I had gotten up early that morning to drop my ex off at BWI airport at 6am. I then went to work in downtown DC. I skipped out of my regular job as transportation director with the school where I work to moonlight for my friend as a bus driver on a field trip for the NIH daycare. I was headed up to pickup at the Day Care when I heard about the first attack on the radio. As soon as I got to the NIH day care they told me the trip was obviously canceled so I high tailed it back to my regular job. Shortly after I arrived back at the school the Pentagon was hit....

I remember we could see the smoke from our Lower School Campus.

I remember when rumors began to fly on the news about bombs exploding in METRO stations etc so I had all my drivers get the buses lined up and ready to go anywhere in seconds notice and made them stay till most of the kids were gone...
I remember watching inconsolable HS students whose parents worked at the Pentagon roam the halls hoping their parents would call....The cell phone lines as well as regular phone lines were jammed and unusable in DC that day....
I remember when I finally reached my parents to let them know that I was OK, and how when planes seem to be falling out of the sky how sick to my stomach I was over not knowing about my significant other...
I remember WAY too much about that day...

Still haven't seen any of the movies about that day, don't have the stomach for it....but I know how hard that day was for me, I can't imagine how difficult every day has been to those who were closer than myself to the destruction and the people even more directly affected.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
It still hurts after 7 years...

·
Registered
514 Posts
My family and I were in our local town center on a shopping visit. Approaching a small electrical and television dealers ho we saw a few people looking at his window display. There was one tower on fire.

As we watched, in disbelief - some people thought it was a movie - we saw the second impact. We were dumbstruck and decided to return home.

As a former Fire Officer I could guess at the tremendous issues the NYFD and NYPD were going to face. In no ones wildest dreams would the eventual death toll be envisaged.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I remember the videos of people jumping out the windows, 100+ stories to the sidewalk. They are a tattoo on my brain. Never forget, never give up the fight.

Bob

·
Registered
55 Posts
The thing that hurts me the most is those that would rather say it was a conspiracy, no mater which way tyou slice it it was an attack, and I for one think we are taking the correct action. The visions of that attack will never be forgotten, neither will the way we all pulled together afterwards. Having been there myself I know what it is like for those over seas, let us not forget them as well, for it is that fateful day that has led us to where we are today, and like Pearl Harbor, RMS Lusitania, The USS Maine, Fort Sumter, The Thornton Affair, The Forced enlistment of American sailors, and on and on, we must not forget. The towers will stand forever in our minds and once again history repeats itself. I pray for those that we lost that day and and the days since.

May Freedom Ring Loud and Clear, We Will Not Be Attacked. And We Will Never For Get Those (Military and Civilian) That Have Fallen.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By markoles on 09/11/2008 2:16 PM
Chas,
I'll never forget how crystal clear the sky was that morning.

Funny, that is what sticks in my head most about that day. We ate lunch outside at work (downtown Nashville) and just kind of sat quietly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts