G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Yes, tis a day that those of us who were around R not likely to ever forget...
My brother an I were out playing in the yard on sunny winter afternoon when
my dad came out of the house gathered us around, and told us what was
happening, I was just old enough to have some idea what it all meant...
It was an afternoon I've never forgotten...
Paul R...

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Yes it's a time to remember the fallen hero's. We lost our last survivor from the Arizona that lived here in Atlanta last Christmas eve. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Yes it is sad that those that were there that horrible day are becoming fewer as time passes. My father was on board the seaplane tender USS Curtiss that day. He was one of the lucky ones that survived to fight another day. I was holding my mother's hand and she was holding my 1 year old brother as we watched from military housing in Pearl City. My mother, my brother and I finally left Honolulu on 25 December 1941 aboard the SS Lurline along with most other military families that had been living in Hawaii at the time.

Both of our parents have passed on but we will never forget, never.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
We watched ToraToraTora last evening, still by far the best most accurate depiction of the events. I occured to me that movie simply could not ever be remade again in the same way, as it would cost way too much, between the locations and the equipment logistics, including all real airplanes and dozens of fiberglass replicas (those werent real P40's being blown up, thank God) full size mock ups of US and Japanese capital ships, giant models and hundreds of extras. No studio could (or would) replicate it today with the same degree of accuracy, if you ever saw the more recent 3 hours of Disney crap called "Pearl Harbor"(one of the worst movies ever made in both acting and historical accuracy) you know what I mean.

PS you can see great chunks of the ToraToraTora attack scenes shamelessly recycled in the stinky potboiler "Australia" including two very obviously US battleships on fire, so much for historical accuracy in film making.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts