G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 727 Posts

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new CP #173 chassis today at GGLS. 
  Got a helluva deal on it!  It's all assembled and it runs on air (the guy I bought it from ran it while I was there).

The parts are made by Railroad Supply Corp.[/b][/b]  Here's a photo of the completed loco from their web site.

Next step - buy a boiler.  :)

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
RE: My New 7-1/2" Gauge CP #173 (chassis only)

Wow! That will be a beautiful locomotive when you get it completed. Railroad Supply used to be located here in Burbank for many years until Chet Peterson sold the company. You know that loco is just chock full of lost wax castings! The original kit price for that engine for all parts was about 15K to 18K bucks! They are great running engines! Now you've joined us Big Boys. You are going to love it. There are a number of boiler builders in California. You should not have any problems getting the boiler built. Just the cost factor! Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
966 Posts

Dwight,
does this new toy keep the Falk in storage forever? But nevertheless congratulations to your start into a new world!

Regards

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts

Yes definitely congratulations Dwight, just one question you did get a truss right??? Cause that's going to get very heavy quickly.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts

Nice score Dwight! They finish into a very nice, good running engine. You should be happy with it.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts

Hi Dwight,

That's a nice looking chassies you have there. Your off to a great start on your GENERAL build!!!

Chuck

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

There are a number of boiler builders in California. You should not have any problems getting the boiler built.
Can you provide a few names and some way of contacting them? I'm looking for someone reputable who can build it to the correct dimensions so the RRSC jacket, smokebox, etc. will fit properly. Also, the RRSC drawings don't feature detail drawings - just a plan view. As I haven't yet received my drawing packet (had to order it), I'm not even sure if all necessary parts such as stays are shown, so I'm looking for someone who knows boiler construction and can provide theirself with whatever they need.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts

Wow Dwight!! That is super cool. I'm jealous. I think I would have gone with 7 1/2 if I had any flat land to put it on. I'll be watching your progress.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Will it be CP #173? Or NPC? Or SPC?
I'll probably keep it as #173 since it's a standard gauge loco. Though I haven't really measured anything yet, I suspect the proportions are all wrong to build a narrow gauge loco out of it. From the little I've read about it, most narrow gauge locos on 7-1/2" gauge are 2.5" scale.

The beauty of scoring this is that I don't have to spend years trying to make all the critical parts myself. :) I'm still a dweeb machinist after all, with very little experience under my belt, and at this point no experience whatsoever in anything larger than Fn3 or non-CNC other than a few small parts.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts

Hey Dwight,
That's a serious chasis you have there. Why don't you do a big version of your cab forward creation? Chasis looks close enough to me and most of what we do is an illusion anyway.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts

WOW, Dwight. Way to go! And CP #173 is a good choice. It was Walt's favorite.

Two questions:

1. Will it be operational in time for the Summer Steam Up this year? :) Next year?

2. How will you transport it along with your portable track? Trailer?

I'm jealous.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts

Dwight,

I just sent an e-mail off to you with some info on having your boiler made. Let me know.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Why don't you do a big version of your cab forward creation? Chassis looks close enough to me and most of what we do is an illusion anyway.

I'll probably take some measurements, but even if the proportions were close, doing #21 in 2-1/2" scale would be an undertaking I'm not sure I'm willing to undertake. hehehe Besides, I also really like the looks of CP #173 and other conventional 4-4-0's, so why not build it as is?

Two questions:

1. Will it be operational in time for the Summer Steam Up this year? Next year?

2. How will you transport it along with your portable track? Trailer?

1 - That depends entirely upon time and available funds. I doubt I'd bring it to the NSS, BTS, or other small-scale steamup anyway as there would be no place to run it there.

2 - See #1. hehehe

Hauling a trailer is something I've been trying to avoid like the plague, especially for any great distance. Besides, a hitch for my RAV is $300.00!! I'd rather put that money elsewhere. :)

I just sent an e-mail off to you with some info on having your boiler made. Let me know.
Got it Gary - thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
197 Posts

Posted By xo18thfa on 04/06/2009 4:19 PM
Dwight: Check out these guys for a boiler:

http://www.boschanboiler.com/index.html

They do nice work.

Bob

Paul Boschan is a very nice guy. I spent an evening with him and some other Disney fans a couple of years ago (he does boiler work for Disney). He really seems to know his stuff and would be worth a call. BTW, he used to work for Roaring Camp so you may already know him Dwight.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts

Dwight, another source of 1-1/2" boilers is Marty Knox, Ridge locomotive Works LLC. www.ridgeboiler.com. I can vouch for the quality of his work--he built one for me.
Marty recently retired as the Superintendent/Master Mechanic of the Huckelberry RR in Michigan, and was responsible for the reconstruction of their 3' K 2-8-2.

Larry

1 - 20 of 727 Posts