G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got a start on scratch building 3- 48' Bethgon cars which was inspired by Marty's thread a while back. My brother is also building one with more detail. Here are some pictures of my progress so far.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also spent last weekend wiring in some outlets and installing some lighting along with a work bench and peg board in the furnace room for a work space to work on train stuff during the winter months. If I only had room for my small table saw. I would have to take down my HO-scale train as it comes through the wall and turns around in the furnace room.

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
Yes indeed fine looking cars. Should make a great addition to the RR. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave
At the moment I am undecided on the road name. I really like the BNSF with swoosh but am leaning toward the UP since that is what the rest of my coal drag is. Never count out the IC, though I don't believe they had these cars, But it's my railroad so I guess I could letter them IC anyway.
Leon

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finished up the main body of the 3rd car and switched to using KD-789's. Now for the ribs and other trim pieces.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Nice job. Very smooth plastic cuts, did you use a table saw or similar power tool? I have some large 1/8" thick sheets I'll be needing to cut for a building but don't have a table saw and I'm sort of interested in what's good out there for cutting plastic.

I like the new BNSF swoosh on freight cars, especially the newer aluminum coal gondolas. Not so fond of it on the locomotives, but it's growing on me the more I see it.

I think those would look great painted in BNSF colors, like this car:

BNSF Bethgon

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Matt.
I used a fine toothed blade in my table saw for most cuts and finished up using a Dremel tool and utility knife on those cuts that couldn't be done on the table saw. You get some rough plastic on the edges after using a table saw and I just ran a steel square along the edges to knock off the excess. Worked fairly well. Also used a file on the inside corners. This is my first atempt at scratch building with plastic so I am not in the know of anything else out there that can be used to cut plastic. It has been fun so far tho. I also love the BNSF colors.
Also, Thank you Dave, Nick and RJD for your complements.
Leon

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi JJ,
These cars are used to haul coal and I imagine other material but they are locked down in a rotary dump and turned to be emptyed instead of unloading out the bottom.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What are Bethgon's noted for? Other than being a kewl looking car.

What are they used for?

The cars were built by Bethlehem Steel and had a unique bottom which added more cubic feet. They were made of aluminum and unloaded via a car dumper.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like em, here is my take on it.

Which ends up like this, yes the bottoms are simplified for forming reasons.

Only another 99 to go, oh and a bit more land.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Pretty clever Rod. By using real aluminum you don't have to worry about painting/plating them to get the right shine

·
Registered
220 Posts
So far it cost me a lot of time making the Cad drawing for the laser cutter and few beers for they guy that did the cutting. The Ally is a pig to cut, the second car has some stainless steel parts mixed in. So far I have 2 prototypes, its stalled at the moment due to the cost of the metal USA intermodal trucks. I think I am going to shelve it at the moment.

Pity, one could make one as a kit. The whole thing is slotted together "dry" and held together by the 2mm machine screws through the solebars

·
Registered
74 Posts
Posted By Rod Hayward on 11/20/2008 4:03 AM
So far it cost me a lot of time making the Cad drawing for the laser cutter and few beers for they guy that did the cutting. The Ally is a pig to cut, the second car has some stainless steel parts mixed in. So far I have 2 prototypes, its stalled at the moment due to the cost of the metal USA intermodal trucks. I think I am going to shelve it at the moment.

Pity, one could make one as a kit. The whole thing is slotted together "dry" and held together by the 2mm machine screws through the solebars

Such a shame to shelve such a neat piece. I would love to be able to build something like that.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts