G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i had most of the info ready before the SELSTS. so last night I cut out  parts for 3 and have the basic car ready tonight. Now I'm waiting on some small sticks of styrene to show up.
I borrowed an HO scale car and copied it.

I plan to mix them in with my Aristo 100 tonners with my road name on it.
 I plan to make patterns to speed it up.

I even thought about making a basic "kit" of the big parts and let folks buy their trucks and detail parts from their hobby shop.

G

·
Nice job as usual Marty but... you do know AML is coming out with these in May wright!!! just  a thought. P.S. your using 830 boxs again, i thought you gave up on them and are using only 789's???
Nick.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Looks great.

Clever use of tubing/pipe for that distinctive Bethgon look.

What's the thickness of the plastic you use for the walls?  1/8"?  How do you cut the sheets?

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt
 I can buy 4 X 8 sheets of .125 (1/8)" for around $43. this way with steel wheels the cars are around 4 pds.
The PVC pipe is thin wall 1 1/4" the trick was cutting it perfectly in half .

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul
the price is right on mine. heheh how much will they go for?

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Marty doesn't care if he can buy it somewhere, he makes it.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Marty,
I'd be intersted in a set of paper patterns if you could do that? Those along with your references I think even I could knock out a few of these!

Chas

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RLD Hobbies is the only place that came up with them on search.
 $84 + kadee
nice looking, no dates tho, good looking coal load.

RLD Hobbies is one of the easiest sites I have found to get around and check prices. They don't say if they are in stock tho. but that is hard to keep up to date.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need to let the paint dry longer for decals,

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heres the basic info. I round things off. Plus the inside parts should be 3 5/8" but I ripped all stock at 3 3/4" to get more out of the materials.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marty have cut the sides and ends out ready to go with a few of them - just want to know if the cutouts besides the  coupler box is going to alter if I use KD920 couplers.    Also could you provide the number for the styrene around the top of the car.   Going off your photos again there appears to be a piece running along the botton of the ribs.   

Bob Hayes

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bob
 cool
 coupler hiegth is set by how thick you build the bolster for your truck. I always mount the couplers to the floor for strength
also depends on whos trucks you use, make it fit the truck.
also I hand cut some .040 or .060  for the top and bottom. you can ,or should thicken the top because in most photos its thicker to support the car when dumping. but the top will be 1/4" thick tocover the wall and the ribs.

mine are now dullcoated and ready to run. I will try to get a photo tonight outside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marty thank you for the info.   Will be using Aristo bogies.   Will start today putting a couple together.

Bob Hayes

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Is that real reflective tape you've got there?  Nice idea if so.  I know many HO modelers who have been going nuts trying to find small enough tape.  Sometimes it's nice to model in G scale ;)

A bet a few of those in shiny aluminum paint with the new BNSF swoosh would look sharp.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is silver, but thats what I could find.

these are brand new cars to the line so they will stay that way for awhile. heheh

1 - 20 of 31 Posts