G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
That's an idea.
Or we can just keep putting it in "Model Making".
From various topics, it seems that there must be maybe ten or twelve members with interest in 3D printing.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
For those interested, here is the youtube video of my latest printer modification.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's an interesting setup, David. Is it now your machine of choice?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi David. On such a tall machine is it necessary to have dual drives on the Z axis?

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
I don't know!
Mine does, but I have also counterbalanced the gantry so they probably don't have to work very hard as lifting nearly zero weight.
It all depends on the printer design I would think.
Cheers,
David

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks David. I'm converting an Ender 3 pro from 250mm to 400mm on the Z. Going to fabricate some braces as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it is fun. I love to tinker! Not looking forward to flashing the firmware. If there is a process to make a brick, that's it. I do have a spare standard board so there is a backup. I've always upgraded to the silent boards.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I have printed a LOT of stuff for my garden railroad: parts that got lost in the weeds, parts that broke or cracked, bits like crates, boxes. I'm printing a large wooden crate on my new Flashforge 3. Hint: don't think of upgrading to firmware 5.0. It's buggier than an ant hill.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to flash in os from 250mm on the z to 400mm. I usually don't flash for os upgrades. It prints just fine. You get more mileage by tinkering with the slicer settings. That's where the real control is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts