G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought a 3D printer yet? If so tell us about it please.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
3D Printer

Has anyone bought a 3D printer yet? If so tell us about it please.
Dan - I have two 3D printers - I purchased an Afinia nearly two years ago and a FlashForge Creator about one year ago.

I did a presentation at last Spring's ECLSTS that is on YouTube - you may want to watch it.

There is also a good bit of good information on the 3D printer forum here:

http://3dprintboard.com/forum.php

Hope that helps.

dave

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I see where Micro Mark has one in there new mag. Only $725. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Jerry the Micro Mark does both. Be interesting to see how well it works and yes it is a kit. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I have a Printrbot Jr I built from a kit. It really only does small stuff, but I use the Makerbot 2's at the Sacramento Public Library. Don't dismiss PLA, I've build lots of replacement pieces for garden RR stuff, and I'm working on a model of the Boron, CA train station. Lots of info out there, but I'm not sure much of it is correct. I paint my PLA to protect it from UV, but I've got a piece of it nailed to a fence to see how long it holds up to the sun. BTW, PLA is plenty hard, try filing or sanding it some time. It dills well and takes primer and paint fine.

While not good for quantity production (no economy of scale) for make one or a dozen of small items (like fire hydrants and draw bars) 3D printing is great for one or two of a kind, or for making mold masters for casting. Maybe not "the wave of the future," but certainly "a wave in the future."

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Got a Da Vinci Jr 1.0W (wireless) for Christmas. Barnes and Noble Bookstores (who knew) Quick and easy to set up, except that I'm having trouble with the prints not coming off the base very easily. Learning curve, I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having trouble with the prints not coming off the base very easily. Learning curve, I guess.
Once you experience one coming unstuck before it is finished, this will be considered the lesser of evils.

What is the build surface material?

Getting something like a miniature cookie spatula (often sold for the cricut stencils) and sharpening the edge can work - obviously don't want to slip and cut yourself, but once you get something under a corner it's usually easy to get the whole part off.

Recently when doing parts that had areas that would never be seen, I started to think about designing a low missing wedge into one lower corner to aid in removal.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I've been using my DaVinci for about 1.5 years now. Really nice machine, well built and esy to use. Now I use painter's tape on the thick plastic printer bed, and stuff comes off very easily. I've make replacement parts for defunct models, new designs of things I need/want, etc. Love the idea of 3D printing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using a Form2 SLA (laser) machine for a couple of years. Usually, I use the parts as patterns for investment casting.. However Formlabs has introduced their "strong" resin which is very similar to ABS which means it is very good indeed. The surface finish and accuracy are fantastic.

The Form2 is expensive - about $3,500 or so, but there are a bunch of smaller machines lately that use DLP projector technology that are under $1,000 with some much less. You have to do a google search or look up 3D printing on Youtube.. They are smaller, but produce great parts according to the Youtube videos.

SLA laser and DLP machines have much better surface finish compared to the FDM "extrusion" type machines. These do offer much larger prints, but not as good surface finish. Perhaps you can design your parts so they fit together to overcome some of the size issues of SLA and DLP units.

Bill Box

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Mike, where did you get your cow 3D files? Or did you create them yourself?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Wow Mike that is very impressive, thanks for sharing, You are definitely an inspiration to others, showing us we can do this too. Thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
197 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts