G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest large scale 3D print is of a craftsman bungalow. It is a free-lanced design, but gave me a chance to try a number of things. The building walls are divided into four sections, each a corner and half a wall. The chimney is a separate print, as are the doors and windows. Holes in the walls were printed that way and the windows/doors were glued in. Gabled ends were separate castings (two for each gable)

I used .08in sheet styrene for the roofs, because I had some around and one piece roofs in this size would require lots of "after print" finishing. The shingles are thin plastic embossed shingles, but I've forgotten who made them.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can never figure out how to put pix up on this site, as I don't have an on-line place to park them, and my space here is so-o-o limited and I'm to cheap to expand it. But it is pretty cool!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Dick;

One question concerning this structure. Craftsman can have more than one meaning. Are you referring to "finely crafted" OR "a structure that was once offered precut and ready to build from a Sears catalog?" I know that a bungalow was once offered in the Sears catalog, along with other home styles.

My dirty and inquiring mind just wants to know.

Thanks,
David Meashey

·
Registered
551 Posts
Would like the finished product, I'm curious to see how it looks. Did you do this on your own 3d printer?

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a free-lance bungalow, with a lot of the detail usually identified as craftsman. It has a large front porch, tapered columns, windows with wide trim, etc. Send an email to me and I'll send a copy to you. <rfriedma at pacbell.net>

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would like the finished product, I'm curious to see how it looks. Did you do this on your own 3d printer?
Yes, I have a DaVinci Jr. Only things NOT 3d printed were the roof shingles.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Dick;

I don't need a copy of the plans, but thank you. With live steam, I probably won't have many structures,
even if I do get an elevated track constructed. I probably already have more kits than I will ever need.

It was interesting to read that the Sears pre-cut homes actually led to a genre of building styles.

Best wishes,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many buildings at Leavenworth State Historical Park are Sears house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts