G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Thats what I thought, remove the pilot wheel, move the pilot beam back and end up with a nifty switcher, if its the same drive as the Saddletanker should work nice on the switching layout. I just hope they didnt paint the driver flanges again like the saddletanker, that was just stupid. Possible modified:

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
The engine's proportions would make an acceptable standard gauge switcher but the tender is proportioned for narrow gauge! (Very strange....)

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
The saddletanker is in the 1/22.5~24 scale-ish region, based on the engineer figure , this one will likely be similar but could be more on the 1/24~29-ish side, visually based on the cab proportions.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Friends,
Just got this info from Jonathan Meador at Piko regarding the new Rio Grande Modul. He also sent a couple of photos, but I am not a first class member and not able to post them. You can e-mail me tyarbrough (at)windstream(dot)net for the photos. Info from Jonathan:
Larger drivers. The wheel flanges and tires are hard-nickel plated. Only the wheel centers are blackened.
Detailed valve gear. This involves quite a few more parts, with much more refined detail, proportions and overall appearance than the old 0-6-0T valve gear.
The loco-tender connector is quite a clever new system, combining the electrical and mechanical connection in one reliable, quick-connect/disconnect unit.
The loco has ball-bearings on the geared driver axles. This drastically reduces the current draw and operating friction.
The loco includes directional LED lights and 5-volt smoke unit. The tender is prepared for easy decoder and sound unit installation.
The finished weight is about 7 pounds and the loco has 2 traction tires. It should be a real puller. Length is about 22” and height is about 6 ¾” at the top of the smokestack.

The Mogul will be on the production line at the PIKO factory in Sonneberg Germany in just a few days. We should have them here in mid-January. As some have noted, they can be reserved for well under $200.00. This is not a model of any specific prototype. The goal is to provide a loco that will appeal to the larger audience of casual G-Scale purchasers. Some hobbyists may prefer to paint over the gold plated parts like handrails, or go further with kitbashing and detailing. For either group of customers, it will be a reliable, smooth-running German-made loco at a very attractive price.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
The Piko loco is now available in Germany.

I just put these pictures up for a German dealer.

Last one is a comparison with an LGB mogul in the background.

Knut

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Knut,
Any photos you could post of the rear of the tender? I like your comparisons of the LGB and Piko versions. THANKS!

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Posted By Ted Yarbrough on 02 Dec 2011 04:23 PM
Knut,
Any photos you could post of the rear of the tender? I like your comparisons of the LGB and Piko versions. THANKS!
Ted,

I have asked the German dealer to take some comparison photos of the back. Should have them in a few days.

In the meantine I have these additional ones:

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I placed an order with Wholesale Trains yesterday. It's listed at $153 which is hardly a big gamble. DCC ready, which means installing my spare MRC 1819 sound decoder ($70) should be fairly easy. I'm hoping that the tender has power pickup also, otherwise a new set of wheels may be needed. I post my findings once it arrives.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Looks to be just the 0-6-0 tank without the tank, a diff. cab and a longer pilot. LOVE IT

and the tender to loco connection is really cool as well!

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I got one in yesterday...... looks ok ....... it is a little noisy in the drive don't know if that will go away with break in ......... for the price I think it looks like it will be a good loco .... could use a little dress up

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Scott,

Does this loco have power pick ups in the tender?
Would be nice and help over dirty track, but I rather doubt it since Piko uses a power connector between the loco and the tender and a power pick up in the tender as well would cost a bit more.

Knut

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I got a good look at one at the GTE at Han's booth. I thought it would be better with the pilot removed, but seeing it, I have to say this is a very good looking engine as is. I will have to think hard about adding another engine to the roster but it's a heckova nice little engine.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts