G Scale Model Train Forum banner

24 volt DCS and 12 volt motors

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  machiningfool 
#1 ·
I don't know the answer to this. The DCS system puts out nominal 24 volts and I have to run NWSL 12 volt motors, they don't have 24 volt motors, so If I run the motors in series, will the motors respond as if they were one 24 volt motor? I could operate at half throttle, but I would rather have the full range of throttle. Does anyone know the answer to this?

#2 ·
I offered my thoughts in your similar post of the Beginners Forum... That said you didn't ask this question previously. I'll wager a "yes", and that two motors are not as efficient as a single motor due to electrical and mechanical losses.

FWIW if the sum of two motors power/watts @ 12V is equal to a given single 24V motor, performance should be fairly similar IMO. In the aforementioned circumstance the motor(s) are not one and the same... In your case comparing the same motor(s) with like potential wired in series or parallel, the series combo is better suited IMO.

You most definitely want to take full advantage of your proportional control systems multitude of finite speed steps if plausible, again IMO.

Michael

#3 ·
I mentioned that I would set up a test and here is what happened. I applied 18 volts to a dc motor and noted the rpm, I then took the second identical motor and wired in series with the first and applied 18 volts, and in fact they ran smoothly and at half the rpm, and that is what I wanted, so my theory and your answer was correct. Not that I doubted your word, but there is nothing like a test, and it was successful, thanks again. Robert Brown.

#4 ·
24 volt to 12 volt NWSL in series did not work.

I finally got the E8 trucks wired in series and they ran erratically, so I wired them in parallel and they ran as normal. I thought I would share this with you so that you wouldn't make the same mistake. There might be a way of balancing them, but that would be beyond my expertise. Robert Brown.:(

#5 ·
I'm reading these threads, since I read all new posts, but have no clue on which of the 3 to respond to. One clue I will contribute: DCS wants a tachometer strip to read motor rpm. I do not know how they handle multiple motors, maybe multiple tachs?

Whoever has a DCS loco with 2 powered trucks might reply. Greg

#6 ·
Many of the forums that I visit will often "merge" multiple threads into one. A quick google found that is apparently not an available feature for this forum's software - vBadvanced

Perhaps a "gentleman's agreement" could be made to abandon one of these threads and continue on with just a single one. The abandoned threads would have the appropriate text regarding this agreement, a link to the still active thread and close or lock the abandoned ones.

Perhaps one of the moderators or admins could consider this for these threads.

#8 · (Edited)
Many of the forums that I visit will often "merge" multiple threads into one. A quick google found that is apparently not an available feature for this forum's software - vBadvanced

Perhaps a "gentleman's agreement" could be made to abandon one of these threads and continue on with just a single one. The abandoned threads would have the appropriate text regarding this agreement, a link to the still active thread and close or lock the abandoned ones.

Perhaps one of the moderators or admins could consider this for these threads.
Perhaps.... BUT I have been told they only acted when asked by OP, the fall out they get 'trying to help' isn't worth it...and that was in the olden days when they were our mods not vs titleholders....

#7 ·
Greg, the 1:32 MTH locos that I have, have one pickup in one truck, no pickup in the other truck, on the same loco. After all has been said about the running of the motors in series, it sounds like it is appropriate. I was told that my test was flawed, and it was, I failed to run the motors on the track under load. I am now running them in parallel, and just keep the speed down. If I burn them up, I will then run them in series. Robert Brown.

#9 ·
Robert, if you can monitor motor temp, that might help.

I must admit I don't know much about the DCS wiring, other than the tach input is the only feedback on motor speed (and actually pretty cool).

So power pickup is one truck only?

So, did this loco originally have only one motor in one truck? Would like to hear more how you got to the state of having to get new motor blocks, and why you did not go MTH.

Regards, Greg

#11 ·
This information is for Greg in this thread. It turns out that MTH motors in their locos are all 12 volt controlled by the processor in the loco. It goes from 0 to 12 volts depending on where the throttle or speed control is set. So, this should clear up the question on 24 volt MTH system and 12 volt NWSL motors. I am answering your input on this thread. Robert Brown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.