G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Jeff,
See http://ggrs.info/ and go to the past meetings and shows link and look at the 2007SELSTS where you will find several photos of the live steam track (there is one photo under the 2008 SELSTS link). Everyone out there needs to take a look at the 2008 and 2007 links for some good ideas of what you might see at the show. EVERYONE needs to make plans to come on down (or over or up or however you get to Dalton from your place) to the Southeast Garden Railroad Show held on May 1 & 2, 2009. It will be an EXCITING PLACE FOR ALL GARDEN RAILROADERS!

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Jeff The Aristo locos also require 8ft to run. Ffrom my memory it should be 8 and 9 ft diameter I will recheck for you. Later RJD

·
Registered
474 Posts
RJ & Jeff,
I just posted what Joe sent me. I must confess I do not know for sure. My thinking is that if an Aristo Mikado at 1:29 scale will run on it, then the Aster at 1:32 scale should run fine (and I certainly could be wrong on the scales).

·
Registered
474 Posts
RJ,
I just copied and pasted. I could be right -I could be wrong. I still think if the Aristo Mikado will make it, the Aster will.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was just mistaken!

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Jeff the curve diameter on the live steam track is now confirmed, 10 ft diameter out side track and 9 1/2 for the inside loop. Hopefully your loco's can negotiate these curves. If so bring them to run. You will enjoy.

Ted I think you either misread and substituted radius for diameter there is a big difference. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Aster's spec for the minimum curve is 2 Meter RADIUS (4 Meter diameter)... that is a smidge over 6.5 Ft RADIUS (13-Ft diameter). I have two Mikes and they both will do a bit better than that, but not much The mentioned 10-Ft diameter is probably too short and I am sure the 9.5 will be too short of a diameter for the Aster Mike. I think the Berk spec was for an even larger radius (that was the reason I didn't buy one!)

·
Registered
474 Posts
RJ,
I'm sticking to my original post, outside track has 5 foot radius curves and the inside track has 4.5 foot radius curves. I think that is exactly what you said above, as a 5 ft. radius is a 10 ft. diameter.

·
Registered
474 Posts
RJ,
I guess it does not matter. From Jeff's post above, his loco requires 8 ft. radius/16 ft. diameter and Joe's track is abit smaller. However, there will be live steam there, so Jeff, come on to Dalton!

·
Super Modulator
22,143 Posts
Jeff, saw a picture of your Aster Mikado on their site. The USRA Mikado is spec'd at 2.9 meter radius on their site. That is about 9.5 foot radius, 19' diameter.

Have you found this to be true? I have some friends with Mikados of other manufacture, and wonder why the Aster Mike requires broader curves. (I know there is no comparison in the quality of an Aster to a 1:29 plastic loco).

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 11/19/2008 9:46 PM
Jeff, saw a picture of your Aster Mikado on their site. The USRA Mikado is spec'd at 2.9 meter radius on their site. That is about 9.5 foot radius, 19' diameter.

Have you found this to be true? I have some friends with Mikados of other manufacture, and wonder why the Aster Mike requires broader curves. (I know there is no comparison in the quality of an Aster to a 1:29 plastic loco).

Regards, Greg

The Aster Mike was (is) spec'd at 2.0 (two even) meter radius. And like I said above, will do a wee bit better than that (just barely).

·
Super Modulator
22,143 Posts
On this web site: [url]http://www.asterhobbyusa.com[/url] if you select USRA Mikado from the left side, you will get to the Mikado page. You even see a picture of Jeff's Mikado.

So this must be the right Mikado. On that page it says:

USRA Light Mikado Specifications:
Scale/Gauge: 1/32 No 1 Weight: 7.1Kg. Length 770mm, Width: 102mm, : 164.8mm. Wheel arrangement: 2-8-2 Mikado, Driving wheel dia. 50mm, Cylinder: 2 cylinders, bore 13mm/stroke20mm.Valve gear: Walscherts, valve travel 6mm, cut-off 75%. Boiler: smoke tube, water capacity: 400cc @ 70% full. Working pressure: 3-4 kg/cm, Fittings: Throttle & blower valve, check valve, water gauge, pressure gauge. Fuel: Methylated alcohol, capacity 200cc. Burner: 3 wick tube type. Minimum radius turn, 2.9 meter Options: Axle driven feed water pump, tender hand pump, detail kit. Production: 260 units

Notice the part where it says Minimum radius. I see 2.9 Meter. Is this site in error, or is it not an official Aster site?

Regards, Greg

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.