G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose I should make an oh-fish-ul announcement about the MLS sanctioned Open House to be held at the SDRR (in conjunction with the 2008 National Garden Railways Convention), so here goes...

This event is to be held in the afternoon of Thursday, May 1st, 2008, from 2:00pm until ???  The MLS Open House is by inviation only to the members (and families/traveling companions - both regular and First Class) of www.myLargescale.com  .

In other words, it's not open to the general public or just any convention goer.

I hate to be exclusionary, but I've been getting feedback from other sources that have found out about this, and they seem to feel as though they are entitled to stroll in and partake of whatever is available.

I'm sorry, but that's what the tours sponsored by the convention are for (which we will also be a part of on  Wednesday, April 30th)...  

This special event is reserved for the members of MLS, and as such I would request that you have your MLS badge on hand to show for admission through the gate.  Nothing complicated, but makes things so much cleaner.  We will have alternative methods available to verify your qualifications, should that be necessary.  Should verification not be able to be made, those folks will be asked to leave...

As members of MLS, you will be welcome to run whatever you may have brung, be it live steam, battery power, track power, or wind up.  My stuff will also be available for you to play with, if you so desire.  This is also an opportunity to test out any purchases you make at the convention itself.  What ever you need, we'll try to make the approriate accommodations.

The preliminary menu is looking like:
* Beef short ribs
* Bratwurst (sauer kraut if desired)
* Burgers (cheese available)
* Potato material (small, red, - either wedged and pan fried, or boiled)
* Romaine lettuce/salad
* Appropriate condiments

All the menu items are predicated on the budget holding out, and all of this is subect to modification, depending upon what might strike my fancy between now and then...

Be advised, we are carnivores, and eschew vegan tendencies...  Salad and greens are good, but only as accompaniment to meat...

Additional suggestions will be entertained...:cool:

Let me reiterate that I don't like being difficult, but I've set aside this time (and resources) for my friends here on MLS, and wish for it to be a special time for the group to hang out, discuss whatever strikes their fancy, and run (or watch) some trains...

I look forward to seeing you all here during the convention.  :)

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
RE: 2008 NGRC MLS Open House at the Sun Dancer Railroad

Are you looking for folks to say whether they're coming to your place....so that you have an estimate of how many freeloaders will be eating your food?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Getting a head count would be nice.

I've got Tommy (and presuming family), Rod (and presuming his wife), M&M, Greg E., and that's all that's rolling in off the top of my head right at the moment.

We could use this topic as a roll call also...

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts

I'll be there traveling solo this time.  Grace has to go to school (poor kid/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif) and Jacque will be teaching her students./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

I'm getting hungry already/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif.

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

·
Premium Member
642 Posts

A-Firmative Duncan, Jill and I will be there, thank you for the invitation/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/tounge_smile.gif 
Are we odd? We only eat vegetarian animals................................................./Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif
Rod

·
Vendor
3,322 Posts

I'll be there, Duncan.  Not sure if Kay will be able.  Her daughter is returning from the mission field in Papua New Guinea that week.

I have to leave early as I have the clinic on decals to put on at 6:00 or so that evening.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great start on the roll call, gang!!

Tommy, just follow yer nose. We beta tested the ribs last night, and they have been declared suitable for eating. We'll get new ones for the open house.

Rod, you sound like a guy that knows his way around a buffet. If you start feeeling lost, just follow Stan, Tommy & Mike.

Stan, we'll make sure that there's food ready for you early. If all else fails, we can grind out a PB&J sammich for ya!!

If we work this right, we might be able to convince JJ to attend and bring along a science experiment or two of his. They are truly scrumptious!!

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
Still holding my breath on a "oh-fish-ul" statement for my visiting. Sent ya a email too. If I does come it'll be "sans family" since Cami is stuck in school too and Martha has Month-end closing. Just incase I don't make it I'm putting together a box-o-sauce for ya to let everyone enjoy./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now we're rollin'!!!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
:)Duncan,
Whats the going rate for the convention if you don't get regestared early, I am thinking about coming over that way?????:D
Roland
P.S. I tried to find out on there web. but couldn't seen to find the info, a little help is needed, thanks

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Thanks Dwight,

Yesterday when I went to the sight I couldn't get the page to come up. Guess the cable between the US and Aisa was to crowded (hehehe) anyway got it thank you so much.

Now the problem is to see if I can get there at that time frame. Linda wants to go to Fl. and hope to send her there while I go training. We will see.

Any  way Mr. Duncan I would love to be included in your gettogether if I come over to the convention. Will let you know for sure later, but for now would like to be included.

Thanks,

Roland

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Roland,

I figured that since Dee-White posted up the link, any further cluttering of the situation by me would be a waste of band-width. So I'm using it up like this instead...
Gotcha covered on the attendance, and I guess I better put together a spread sheet to keep track of all the trainees!!!

As an addendum to the menu, the plan with the short ribs (off the bone) is to slow cook them in sauce (10 or 12 hours or so), then place 'em on the grill to caramelize the sauce and impart that freshly BBQ'ed flavor.

Brats will be boiled in beer, then grilled to perfection...

Burgers will be flame broiled on the grill and ready for condiments; such as lettuce, tomato, pickles, onion, mayonaise/salad dressing, mustard (such as grey poupon), ketchup and assorted cheese slices. Planning on lightly toasting the buns, but if I miss that part, sue me...

Various dressings will be available for the tossed salad, and the potatos will be nicely seasoned.

Dwight & Joe,
Hoping very much that you can make the journey, as I truly believe it would be a great opportunity for some outrageous story telling... Honest!!!

·
Super Modulator
21,053 Posts
Duncan, I will be coming, bringing my wife, and R.J. DeBerg. I would like to also bring Ted Doskaris, who may not be a MLS member. He promises not to eat much! (He's the author of all the "vignettes" on my site).

We appreciate your hospitality. (R.J. is driving from Georgia!)

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Greg,
The names R.J. DeBerg & Ted Doskaris are familiar to me (reaching back into the cranial archives), and I have no problem whatsoever with you dragging your wife along, either!!   /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif
I'll be glad to make your acquaintences (plural on purpose for all y'all)!!  :cool:

(that's 14 so far, with a small pile of maybes...  lookin' good!!)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's the roll call so far...

Debbie & Duncan
Ralph & Lu Giese
Mike & Marge Reilley
Tommy Mejia
Rod & Jill Fearnley
Stan & Kay Cedarleaf
Richard & "?" Weatherby
*-?-* Joe DiSanto
Charles & "?" Scherer (chilicharlie)
*-?-* Dwight Ennis
*-?-* Roland Seavey
Greg & Penny Elmassian
R. J. DeBerg
Ted Doskaris
Steve & Dee Seitel (dawgnabbit)
Bill & "?" Ott

The *-?-* signifies "maybe"...

The "?" indicates I do not know the spouse's name...

Stan, I included Kay in the count, even though she may be otherwise occupied. It is not a "command performance", but rather a courtesy ackowledgement that she may attend...

Looks like a fun group!!!  :D

There are some others that threatened to come play, but I'll wait to see them post up here before I'll mention any names.  They may be wanting to make a surprise entrance (and if so, I'd ask them to shoot me an email for inclusion in my menu planning).  However, I firmly believe that by making their anticipated presence known, others that may be sitting on the fence would be inclined to swing by, if only to spent some time with them.  But that's just my take on their "stardom"...  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

(JJ, you reading any of this thread???)  :)

1 - 20 of 132 Posts