G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diamondhead 2008 Drawbar Pull Results

There were seventeen entries in the annual Drawbar Pulling competition at the 2008 International Small Scale Steamup.

The results in each category are as follows:

One Axle
Sonny Wizelman          Rail Truck                   9.3 oz
John Riley                     Rail Truck                   6.3 oz

Two Axle
Dave Hottmann           Super Ruby               50.6 oz
Ed Johnson                 Accucraft Edrig         45.7 oz
Bill Boyle                      Regner Willi              42.8 oz
Larry Newman            Ruby-Mason             26.6 oz
Carl Weaver                Tram Loco                 24.9 oz
Dan Tilden                   Ruby                          14.8 oz

Three Axle
Doug Whithaus           Roundhouse Fowler   33.2 oz

Four Axle
Bob Pope                   P-1 Diesel               103.7 oz
Richard Jacobs        Accu 3cyl Shay          88.4 oz
Bill Payne                   Aster Climax             60.8 oz
Mitch Mitchell            Accucraft C-16           50.8 oz

Five Axle
Charlie Mynhier          0-10-0 Switcher        72.1 oz

Six & Eight Axle
John Garrett               Accucraft 4t Shay     108.6 oz
John Garrett               Accucraft Garratt        80.5 oz
Paul Latour                Accu Cab Forward     74.9 oz

Hopefully next year more entries will be presented.

The O gauge switcher had the unbelieveable pulling power of over 50% efficiency - power to weight ratio!
Prototype engines are considered good if they are over 30%.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Bob better savor his 4-axle victory with the Diesel while he can because Black Magic is itching to drag him around the track and show him what Made in USA steam can do!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
  Can't find a picture of it at the moment, but I do have a video that I took.  The loco is currently owned by John Garrett.
  The file is 4.6M, so make sure you have hi speed unless you want to wait a long time.
Larry's 4 Truck

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hi Ed,

Your Black Magic is a gorgeous locomotive - I'm honored that you would challenge my poor little Diesel Passenger Streamliner!

But I'm afraid your beauty queen might go for a backwards spin herself behind some Made in USA Diesel!

To be serious for a moment, you are a true craftsman and I look forward to meeting you and seeing the Black Magic in person.

Of course I might have some new trucks with larger motors on the diesel by next year, and lower gearing, and more throttle throw, and some additional weight..... And then there's that Diesel freight locomotive I plan to build (but that will be in the 12-axle category).

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Fred
The photo is as referenced in prior post per this thread thanks to John' coverage of DH 08

Posted By Charles on 01/22/2008 3:23 PM
Dave
Here is the photo built by Ol' Fart

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Charles,
  Here is the message I get when I try to follow your link.

Your client does not have permission to get URL /s912 from this server.

Can't see any picture from your link, but will post it here.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Hi Bob,

You better work on those mods for your diesel because we are not standing still either.  Climax #3 will be blowing steam at 74# with 4 power strokes per rev cranked down an all stainless steel power train with 2.25:1 gearing to show you what for, yes sir!

Best regards,
Ed

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Ed,

Very impressive! How much does it weigh?

The overall title is what interests me - this is currently being traded between diesel and steam.

In 2007 Diesel barely won:
One Axle
Neshkin Woods Loco 14.8oz
McHale Wood Thing 2 Disqualified in Tech Inspection â€" Too Wide

Two Axle
Martocci Sammie 3lb 1.7oz
Joslyn Willi 3lb 0.5oz
Simpson Edrig 2lb 15.6oz
Bailey Cedrig 2lb 8.7oz
Sheehan Betty’s Willi 2lb 8.0oz
Jacobs Forney 2lb 2.9oz
Riley Lumber Jack 1lb 4.1oz
Simpson Cricket 1lb 3.2oz
Weidner Billie 1lb 10.8oz

Three Axle
Coghran Cheddar 3lb 11.8oz
Pope Fowler 15.8oz

Four Axle
Bednarik, R Daylight 4lb 12.8oz
Quirk, P Aster 141 1lb 8.0oz

Six Axle
Barker Garratt 6lb 1.2oz

Shays
Sortino Accucraft 3 Cyl. 6lb 2.4oz
Garrett Class D 4lb 15.5oz

Diesel
Pope P-1 Homebuilt 6lb 6.2oz

In 2008 the title went back to steam with a win by John Garrett.

So who will win in 2009, Steam or Diesel? You seem to have some tricks up your sleeve. No telling what John Garrett's shay will pull with some more weight in the water tank. Charlie Mynhier's switcher pulled half it's weight. Accucraft has the new K-36. And I'll have a freight Diesel with 3-axle trucks and an alternator instead of a generator for next year. I think the days of an overall win in the 6-pound range are over!

2009 should be an interesting year for the drawbar competition.

Bob

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carl,

Glad you had a fun time, even though I didn't have a special "Tram" class just for you.  If your loco had been an internal combustion prototype it would have fit in the "Truck" catagory and wiped out the competition!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hi Ed,

The new trucks with larger (550 size) motors for the Diesel should be here next week!

I hope things are going well with Climax #3 - that is going to be one beautiful locomotive.

Bob

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Does anyone know the all time record for the draw bar contest?

We need to get one of these draw bar contests at Cabin Fever!! Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To Bob Pope and all past winners,

There will be a new rule added to the competition next year if Jerry sees fit to adopt it.  The rule is that any locomotive that has won a past competition cannot compete again.  This will keep things fresh and keep the the walls from filling up with certificates and trophies for the same locomotive!  Any locomotive is welcome to pull, to compare past results, but past winners will not be considered for the trophies awarded.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
David Rose asked,
"Does anyone know the all time record for the draw bar contest?
We need to get one of these draw bar contests at Cabin Fever!! Sounds like fun."

My records show that John Coghran (somewhere in his eighties?) has the record for the heaviest pull on record.  It was in the "One Finger" class.  Using the index finger he pulled 8 lbs. 4.6 oz (132.6 oz).  This was a special class instituted due to a lack of locomotive entries in 2007.  The 4t "Herget" Shay of John Garrett appears to be the strongest in recent recorded history at 108.6 oz.  The Shay design is fittingly a good one for this static pull.  If someone could come up with some form of dynamic pull device it would probably be a different story.

You could do this at the Cabin Fever show by using the article from Steam in the Garden to construct your own equipment.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Bruce - I'm happy that you are willing to let past winners participate - even if not for the trophy.

I'm also planning to build a freight locomotive.

Will there be a class for an A-B unit with 3-axle trucks (for 12 axles total)? Could it compete as an A unit in the 6-axle class and as an A-B unit in the 12 axle class?

I'd hate to go to all that effort and not be able to compete.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Bob, 
why don't you just make a model of a Baldwin Centipede and get it over with! How many driving axel can one man build?
Bill/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

1 - 20 of 37 Posts