G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I wanted to share my proof of concept for 20 mule team wagon / car.
I grabbed a logo from laundry soap box and used it as a pattern for scrollsaw.
My idea was just to have a shell that fits over a short flat car. Hartland.

So the length width will not look correct for the actual wagon.

All cuts were used on scrollsaw. Wheels 1/2 walnut, wagon side 1/4 red oak. I stacked cut the wheels. So total 1inch thick.

I can have the shell over a motor also. So self powered wagon. Then have more shells over flat cars.
I used to live in Mojave desert and had some exposure to 20 mule team path to mojave. Of course I'm mixing pre train steam engine with 20 mule wagon. But I wanted some kind of wagon looking rolling stock.

The big wheels of the wagon were actually 6 feet tall. This measure 2 inch diameter and 1.75 diameter.

The last photo shows the bullet train engine which make the wagon too short.

I am requesting opinions, ideas, to make this better.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
I love your Bullet train. It would be faster than any other train but I would worry about the corners.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the bullet train is made for security. I have to protect mining ore, and pure metals.
I do have a tender for it, 2 speed loaders. It is how the west was protected wasn't it.

I saw a g scale car made out of tin metal that had the logo 20 mule team Borax printed on it. I was watching ebay for over a year. Then it occured to me just build what I want.
Nowadays the 5 bay loader cars dont have anything on the side showing Borax or Searles Lake. So those won't do on my garden rail theme.
I did see Palo made an outdoor g scale building for a gunsmith. That will do well with this theme.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I like to have fun while hobbying.
My sketch of the bullet train started with a title "wheel gun". Which was used for revolvers. Then when I started making it. It was obvious to the casual observer it was a bullet train. Much better play on words. :)

Me.
Matk Eason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well the bullet train is made for security. I have to protect mining ore, and pure metals.
I do have a tender for it, 2 speed loaders. It is how the west was protected wasn't it.

I saw a g scale car made out of tin metal that had the logo 20 mule team Borax printed on it. I was watching ebay for over a year. Then it occured to me just build what I want.
Nowadays the 5 bay loader cars dont have anything on the side showing Borax or Searles Lake. So those won't do on my garden rail theme.
I did see Palo made an outdoor g scale building for a gunsmith. That will do well with this theme.
OK, must see a picture of the tender!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts