G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a wild hare, hair or whatevhair.
Being that I've wanted to build the Gilpin Tram, however, not in large scale as no room for it, I thought about utlizing teh Bachmann On30 T boiler shay - modify the shay into the Gilpin # 1. HOWEVER, 2 foot narrow gauge based upon the 16mm track (On30, HO width). Being so, this would require the engines, ore cars, cabeese and all other sorts to scale out to 1:37 (I believe my guzintus is correct). I've have blue line drawings of the # 1 and would have to scale it as required.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi,

that's a nice idea. But I would use 1:32 scale for that railroad (also on 16.5mm tracks) because you can use all the #1 gauge equipment like figures and detailparts.

Bye, Gerd

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI,
Thanks for thein formation, however, 2 foot gauge in 1:32 is 19.00 mm.
Not bad idea.
Since the loco and ore cars will be scratchbuilt, make the modeling easier
Of course I could always modify the On30 to On2. I'm trying to stay in a smaller gauge for the hobby room.
I'll go with the On2.
Thanks again.
Marc

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Actually, On3 works out as two foot gauge in 1:32 scale. 1:32 is 3/8" scale and On3 track is 3/4".
Interesting idea, but I'm not sure 1:32n2 is very practical for live steaming.

Harvey C.

·
Registered
512 Posts
try building in 1:22.5 / 1:25 / 1:24 scales - they might be closer. I'm building a 1:24 narow gauge (2ft) industrial diesel loco to run on HO scale track.

Cheers Jonesy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All,
Thanks for the information, however, I do not want to build the Giplin Tram in larger scales.
I thought the 1:37 might work, however, too large to utilize the Bachmann On30 shay.
The On2 will work just fine, I will have to narrow the axles, etc. as the track gauge is approximately 12mm
Grandt Line manufactures the 5. & 1.5 ton ore cars in On3, this will be just fine, I'll modify the trucks.
I'll keep eveyone posted on the progress.
Marc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts