G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The floor is the starting point, so here's some shots.
Overall dimensions of the floor are 21"w x 32" L ( 35' x 54')
Construction will be board on frame, all glued and pinned with the nailer

All wood is Western Red Cedar and the glue is Titebond III

The rail is nailed to the joists with steel, ringed, panel nails and the rail is pre drilled though the foot to accept the nails.

There may or may not be a machine shop attached to one side....

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Wow Larry,
You don't waste any time !
Looks great so far.
Tom

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a lot of time off Tom. People think we don't do tree work in the winter. But the smart ones call us now and save a hundred bucks or two.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Looking grand already! Did the grex pinner make the holes that look like nail holes? Nice tip on securing the track to the frame :) Looking forward to seeing more progress.

I know you were doing some 7/8s stuff but based on the dimensions you gave this is going to be 1:20.3. Are you modeling both 7/8s and 1:20.3?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim,
Yes this is 1:20.3. I've done a lot in 7/8ths but still have not managed to come up with a 7/8ths loco that I like and I've converted more than a few.
So I'm doing some 1:20 stuff for now and all the 7/8ths is on my shelf.

The nail holes are from the nailer and look great

Thsi is all free lance but I'm stealing ideas from the Gazett

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Great job so far. Can't wait to see the finished product. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Work continues....

Post and beam construction has begun. The posts and beams are scale 12"x 12", which is the thickness of the standard 1x4 board of cedar...at least it is here. I would not have taken this approach with out the pin nailer. The nailer made nailing sooooo easy

Next up window design issues so it may be awhile before the next progress report.

Meanwhile pics..

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
You're making it look easy ;-) After you're done stealing some ideas, I think I'll steal yours. Thanks for posting progress pics, so I can figure out how you did things.

Since this is just 2-bays and the tracks seem to be coming out of the shed straight I assume there won't be a turntable?

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
It is a great begining. Cant wait for the next up date

I like it when guys put figures in thier pic's like you did. It adds something to the pic

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No turntable Jim, just a switch to get 2 tracks to the shed.

I decided to actually build the windows in place so I framed the rest of one side to accept the siding.

Windows construction will begin by placing a single piece of plexi into each window bay and the I'll glue in the frame to hold it in place. After that dries I'll add the little bits to make it a 2 over 3 window.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Man - that looks great!!! Glad you are posting pic's as you go as I plan on doing something similar - and you're building the way I would too! I'll be looking closely at how you do the windows. I build my windows first, but yours may be a better way to go. Hmmm...

tbug

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

No pit for maintenance... it would just collect crud when outdoors.

Matt, the siding will be vertical board... no battens.

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Well if he does that he will be hiring the handicap. Great always nice to see folks finding jobs for them.. later RJD

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finished the framing and the siding today. And so far have generated two loads of saw dust from the mill

Lots of pics enjoy.

And by the way.... the Bass River Lumber Co agreed to provide lumber for the new engine facility, water tank, fuel tank and ties for track if the RR would build a branch line up to the new dam, to pick up logs, since they can't float them down river all the way any longer
damn Corp of Engineers and their flood projects

1 - 20 of 134 Posts