G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know who built this amazing beastie?! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

http://picasaweb.google.com/diamondheadsteamup/20070113Saturday/photo#5153566065675760226

http://picasaweb.google.com/diamondheadsteamup/20070113Saturday/photo#5153566069970727538

I recognize that face..thats a BR&P 2-8-8-2! :D

(Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburg)
The BR&P had the only articulated engines to operate in Western NY.
they had 2-6-6-2's and 2-8-8-2's..
im a big BR&P fan, and thats the one-and-only model of a BR&P engine I have ever seen in any scale..
(BR&P became part of the B&O in 1932..never had any diesels, steam-only.)

I would love to learn more about this engine!
Those 2-8-8-2's once operated about 3 miles from my house..
thanks,
Scot

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
It was made by Charlie. It is an O-gauge, all stainless steel, true compound locomotive. It pulled 40 cars, many of them weighted. I helped Charlie carry in a plastic bin that contained the coal cars and it must have weighed 80 pounds.

Try a Google on Charlie Mynhier for more information.

Bob Pope

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm..
after consulting my BR&P book, its not an exact match afterall..
although its very close!

either it is a BR&P engine, and the model builder hasnt added all the details yet,
or its a 2-8-8-2 from another railroad, that got some 2-8-8-2's from Alco-Brooks of a nearly identical design!
I have never seen anything that looks even close to the BR&P engines before..
curiouser and curiouser!
:D

Scot

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
If memory serves me right, it is either a Virginian or C&O 2-10-10-2, can't remember which roadname. Like was said before, it is a 2-10-10-2, and an extreme puller for it's size, but them again, so are all of Charlie's engines.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Here is a rather large file of a video I shot last year at Diamonhead of this engine.  The picture is kind of dark since it was shot in the evening.  It was pretty amazing to watch.  By the way, I don't remember how many, but some of these cars were loaded with weights also.

Charlies 2-10-10-2

I shot another video of it again this year, but have not had time to download and upload to my web site yet.  Hope to do that in a day or so and will post that link also if interested.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Tac,
The link is fine. It is hosted on my web site. It is a quicktime movie. Maybe that is your problem for playing it. I will try to find time to convert it to a MPG later. Would make the file smaller also.

Is anyone else having a problem with the link?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Here is a photo of Charlie (on the left) and his scratchbuilt engine:

Here is a front view:

These photos have been reduced in size for this forum.  If you want to see them these photos and a few others in full size go to http://www.flickr.com and search for Charlie Mynhier.  When you click on a photo, click on the ALL SIZES button to see it larger.
Charlie does incredible work.

Regards,
Ed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts