G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 Was wondering about these two trains one is a  2-8-0 Baldwin  by Aristocraft Trains and a  0-4-0 Porter by   Accucraft. Look to be older are these worth much and what scale are they? I could pick both up for about $75.00 The baldwin is the napa valley on.e the porter I cant see to well in the picture but it is all metal model  he said.. Any info or help would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Yes the Aristocraft 2-8-0 is 1/24 scale..
its the old Delton engine..
most other Aristo engines are 1/29 scale, but not the 2-8-0,.

Aristocraft just released an updated version of the 2-8-0..so there are new and old versions out there.

The accucraft Porter is 1/20.3 scale (Fn3 scale)
and yes, its all metal..

Most people would probably say the Porter is a "step up" in quality from the 2-8-0..although there is nothing wrong with the 2-8-0.
like everything else, there are different levels of luxury in model trains! ;)

Both should be excellent engines..and both are models of narrow gauge prototypes..
although only Fn3 scale is correct for 3-foot gauge on 45mm track..
Both would look totally fine together as 3-foot gauge models.

Kenny,
what kinds of trains are you interested in?
the answer will go a long way to deciding what scale you should choose..
of course some dont even bother to "pick a scale" and just run what they like! and exact scale is ignored..
thats fine too..

Scot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started out with Bachmann big hauler sets. Some LGB ,A USA 20 tonner, which I really like Was thinking of staying in the 1/29 scale for the outside layout

But I also love passenger cars like Bachmann makes And scale is not too important to us as we are doing it for ourselves But looking"close" would be semi nice .

.   But the wife(bless her) Said we could put a elevated one running through the dinning/living room And Also a loop running around her "Tinkerbell room" Did I mention shes great guys?lol.

T  he elevated ones we want to run LGB or similar small locos and cars because of the curves etc.I was mainly wondering if they were worth the asking price as I could resell them later on if I do not want them. Thanks for the replies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts