G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
The rear safety on mine seems to be set right at 60 psi.
I didn't get the front one to blow, so it might be set too high.
It really needs a good run to determine whether after the safety blows, it is capable of still making too much steam.
The boiler and burner designer, Dick Abbott suggests that in summer use, you only need three of the four wicks, but I kind of suspect that three will do in all weather conditions.
As I say, until I get it pulling a train on a long run, I can't determine how much steam it is capable of making.
I must say that the Forsythe multi tube boiler seems to be an excellent choice, as is Accucraft finding BMMC to build the loco.
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Mr Leech, I hope that one day we'll get to hear the full story on the development of this exceptional model of a greatly-loved prototype.

tac, still waiting for #41
www.ovgrs.org

Mr Foley,
What is it about the story that you haven't heard?
Or, what do you need to know?
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
David,
As I pointed out, it will go around 8 foot okay.
A little bit of slowing down, but will make it.
NOW, what is this 2857 stuff.
Don't tell me that you have already renumbered yours, have you???
Have fun at Cabin Fever.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Posted By GaugeOneLines on 01/14/2009 10:22 AM

Already done David, don't want to have the same running number as all the other kids on the block! If you are going to number your Aster rebuild as 2816, you and I will be able to replicate one of the popular double-headed fan trips of the dying days of Canadian Pacific steam here in Ontario in 1960.

David M-K
Ottawa

Sorry David,
It is already 2812.
Just have to build the 'front' end to more or less finish it.
So, when are we going to be in the same place to do this???
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Posted By GaugeOneLines on 01/14/2009 11:56 AM

I must say that the Forsythe multi tube boiler seems to be an excellent choice, as is Accucraft finding BMMC to build the loco.
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

David,

I think it's fair to say that it's not a Forsythe design but a 'Bitsa boiler' or in more polite circles a hybrid. It has elements of Paul's design but then it has elements of other's too so let's call it an Abbott. Whatever we call it, it certainly steams like witch!
Regarding your comment re. BMMC, I couldn't agree more.

David M-K
Ottawa

Well.....
I was only going by what Dick called it.
I guess that he is too modest to name it after himself, but that is fine with me.
All the best,
David Leech, 
Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Posted By GaugeOneLines on 01/14/2009 9:59 AM

I hope that one day we'll get to hear the full story on the development of this exceptional model of a greatly-loved prototype.

tac, still waiting for #41
www.ovgrs.org

TAC,

There really isn't much of a story to tell, but doesn't November 2006 seem a long way away, remember? Back then, good old TAC came out with all guns blazing wondering why ever would Accucraft entrust improvement work to 'people we've never even heard of'. Well those 'people we've never even heard of' came through despite the skeptics and that thing that was a slug (to be kind) was transformed into a bullet that I know you will be proud to own.

Any stories that there are, why don't you enjoy them under the big maple tree in my back yard, with a glass in your hand, whilst a Royal Hudson runs around with a decent sized train, when you visit Stittsville this Summer, what month?

David M-K

Ottawa

Okay Tac,
Since DMK has given you his version, here is mine based on what I have seen and heard, and please forgive any errors in dates.
Also please forgive any other errors as far as facts are concerned, or any names that I have left out.
1) Maybe ten years ago, Jerry Hyde, Aster distributor for the USA, approaches Aster to see if they will build the Canadian Pacific Royal Hudson. They are sent drawings etc, but the response is that there is no market for this model.
2) Many years later, after Jerry is no longer involved with Aster, Jerry approaches Accucraft to see if they will build it.
3) A positive response, and a prototype painted blue is produced and was run at the National Summer Steamup in Sacramento in July 2006. This prototype was made by Charlie, and was apparently the last engine that he worked on before his death. It ran okay, but seemed to need 100 psi to do anything, and did not seem to like to run slow.
4) I provided Jerry with photos explaining how various major details were incorrect.
5) September 28, 2006 the 'real' 2860 is steamed for the first time since a boiler re-build.
6) The Canadian connection of Dick Abbott and David Morgan Kirby through their acquaintance with Jerry, and their desire to get this model 'right', were invited to take this blue model and transform it into a runner.
7) This then was re-boilered and re-cylindered as well as I'm sure much other work by Dick and David. The boiler, I understand was built based on what materials that were available in China to make sure that it was going to be a 'good steamer'. It was re-painted CP tuscan by DMK,  and taken down to Diamondhead for January 2007.
8) Accucraft contracts BMMC to manufacture this model under the watchful eye of Jerry to make sure that it will be a success.
9) A pre-production model is returned to North America and is well tested by Dick Abbott in the fall 2007.
10) Then there is a long wait until the production line begins to move. Dick Abbott was perhaps going to be sent to China to check that all the models were going together correctly, but in the end was not required to do so.
11) Mid December 2008, the Accucraft Royal Hudson are delivered to customers, who are very happy with the result.
So, I think that all owners, and future owners, of Accucraft Royal Hudsons need the say thank you to Jerry Hyde, Dick Abbott and David Morgan Kirby, as without them, perhaps we would not be Happy Hudson Owners.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

1 - 7 of 7 Posts