G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I steamed my RH on the bench yesterday (as the track outside is under a foot of snow, and my indoor track has only 8' radius curves). I knew I wasn't going to be disappointed having been with this project for the last 27 months, and sure enough it ran absolutely beautifully. It was VERY controlable right down to about 1.5 revolutions of the drivers per second with no load, the axle pump is very efficient and the first safety pops at 65psi. Without a doubt this is a giant leap forward for Accucraft and is probably the first 'serious' live steamer they have made that is powerful right out of the box without resorting to all sorts of after-market fixes to bring it up to snuff. I'll be interested to know what the gas version is capable of.....with a heating surface approximately 60% of the alcohol one. The proof of the pudding will surely be in the eating, we will see.

I am packing 2857 in the car on Friday along with 6 CP coaches, baggage car and express reefer (the same ones I ran at DH the last two years) and will give the whole lot a canter at Cabin Fever this w/e.

Looking forward to seeing old friends there.
David M-K

Ottawa

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hope that one day we'll get to hear the full story on the development of this exceptional model of a greatly-loved prototype.

tac, still waiting for #41
www.ovgrs.org

TAC,

There really isn't much of a story to tell, but doesn't November 2006 seem a long way away, remember? Back then, good old TAC came out with all guns blazing wondering why ever would Accucraft entrust improvement work to 'people we've never even heard of'. Well those 'people we've never even heard of' came through despite the skeptics and that thing that was a slug (to be kind) was transformed into a bullet that I know you will be proud to own.

Any stories that there are, why don't you enjoy them under the big maple tree in my back yard, with a glass in your hand, whilst a Royal Hudson runs around with a decent sized train, when you visit Stittsville this Summer, what month?

David M-K

Ottawa

·
Registered
217 Posts
David,
NOW, what is this 2857 stuff.
Don't tell me that you have already renumbered yours, have you???

All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

Already done David, don't want to have the same running number as all the other kids on the block! If you are going to number your Aster rebuild as 2816, you and I will be able to replicate one of the popular double-headed fan trips of the dying days of Canadian Pacific steam here in Ontario in 1960.

David M-K
Ottawa

·
Registered
217 Posts
I must say that the Forsythe multi tube boiler seems to be an excellent choice, as is Accucraft finding BMMC to build the loco.
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

David,

I think it's fair to say that it's not a Forsythe design but a 'Bitsa boiler' or in more polite circles a hybrid. It has elements of Paul's design but then it has elements of other's too so let's call it an Abbott. Whatever we call it, it certainly steams like witch!
Regarding your comment re. BMMC, I couldn't agree more.

David M-K
Ottawa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts