G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend George and I each received our Accucraft CP Hudson's this week. Saturday we decided to stretch their legs out. Both ran really well, 45 minutes on one tank of alcohol and plenty of power. Mine was blowing off steam constantly, I have since trimmed the wicks.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Glad to hear all arrived safely Dan.

For those that are interested, I have the last of the 1939 "Blue" versions of this model available for sale. Alcohol fueled. See ad shortly in classified section.

Royce

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Great pictures Dan.

I am not sure how many "Blue" locos have been built by Accucraft but I know of six in the US, UK, Canada and Germany. We have supplied allot of cars already and some have said that they will order more after finding just how much power the Royal Hudson has. Unfortunately Phyl has not been able to run hers again with a good load on because of the amount of snow we have received in the past couple of weeks.

Tac, When do you get your loco?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Dan
Enjoyed the photos of two beautiful statements of steam power. I can image the enthusiasm given the weather on that particular day. I wish you were going to be at Cabin Fever longer....maybe leave the CP Hudson for us to play with!!!!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I have talked to both George and Dan today, and they were both extremely impressed with the performance of these two engines. They both produced plenty of steam and could run at a speed beyond what one would consider safe if desired. Even the whistle "wasn't too bad". Seems like Accucraft has made a giant step forward.... ????

Hey Accucraft, how about a 1:32 K-4 that runs like this? Or better yet a M1a?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Charles

I am planning on attending the Cabin Fever event this Saturday and am planning on bringing my CP Hudson (Blue w/Stainless Steel Boiler). I do not as of yet have passenger coaches for it are you and Ryan going to have some 1/32 scale ones that I can use while I'm there for a few runs throughout the day. I should be there by 8:00am which I believe is when they let exhibitors in. I am also planning on bringing my new Sandy River #24 with matching LGB box cars and caboose.

The CP Hudson is an amazing engine almost to the caliber of my Aster Mikado. It ran flawlessly in sub zero weather and still maintained 90-100 lbs of steam pressure and as Dan said I barely had the thottle open on mine, any faster and it would have come off Dan's raised track. It should easily be able to pull a dozen coaches or more. The only issue with the engine is the in-flow water connection leaks and is tough to connect requiring the use of a wrench to tighten it. Dan fixed his with some black gasket sealer he had and I am going to do the same to mine, until I can buy some quick disconnects for it.
I just wish my Accucraft GS-4 Daylight ran this good out of the box. Accucraft has a real winner with this engine.

See you on Saturday.
George Z

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
George Thanks for the feedback on your experience with the CP Hudson. Along with the retrofit of quick disconnects I would recommend that you look at reset of safeties. This engine should be able to operate at 60-70 psi and perform well. Looking forward to see the engine in motion at CF.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
The rear safety on mine seems to be set right at 60 psi.
I didn't get the front one to blow, so it might be set too high.
It really needs a good run to determine whether after the safety blows, it is capable of still making too much steam.
The boiler and burner designer, Dick Abbott suggests that in summer use, you only need three of the four wicks, but I kind of suspect that three will do in all weather conditions.
As I say, until I get it pulling a train on a long run, I can't determine how much steam it is capable of making.
I must say that the Forsythe multi tube boiler seems to be an excellent choice, as is Accucraft finding BMMC to build the loco.
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By David Leech on 01/13/2009 1:05 PM
The rear safety on mine seems to be set right at 60 psi.
I didn't get the front one to blow, so it might be set too high.
It really needs a good run to determine whether after the safety blows, it is capable of still making too much steam.
The boiler and burner designer, Dick Abbott suggests that in summer use, you only need three of the four wicks, but I kind of suspect that three will do in all weather conditions.
As I say, until I get it pulling a train on a long run, I can't determine how much steam it is capable of making.
I must say that the Forsythe multi tube boiler seems to be an excellent choice, as is Accucraft finding BMMC to build the loco.
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

Mr Leech, I hope that one day we'll get to hear the full story on the development of this exceptional model of a greatly-loved prototype.

tac, still waiting for #41
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
David,

My safety was popping around 80lbs, slightly lower than on George's engine but still too high. The front safety did not go off that I noticed so I am wondering where that one is set. I have the wicks trimmed below the recommended 3/8" and packed pretty tight so I was considering plugging one of the burners for summer running. The temp was 29 degrees when we were running and Charles; I was disappointed we did not get snow, it would have been even better.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Mr Leech, I hope that one day we'll get to hear the full story on the development of this exceptional model of a greatly-loved prototype.

tac, still waiting for #41
www.ovgrs.org

Mr Foley,
What is it about the story that you haven't heard?
Or, what do you need to know?
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Dan
You mean like in the good ol' days....been there and done that. Hope you enjoy your experience as much as we did!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Tac,

If you want to know the full story you might want to hop on a flight to Cabin Fever this weekend as Dick Abbott will be there and I am sure he will give you all the details. Failing that you may want to wait for an article in the G1MRA newsletter.

Cheers

·
Registered
214 Posts
I steamed my RH on the bench yesterday (as the track outside is under a foot of snow, and my indoor track has only 8' radius curves). I knew I wasn't going to be disappointed having been with this project for the last 27 months, and sure enough it ran absolutely beautifully. It was VERY controlable right down to about 1.5 revolutions of the drivers per second with no load, the axle pump is very efficient and the first safety pops at 65psi. Without a doubt this is a giant leap forward for Accucraft and is probably the first 'serious' live steamer they have made that is powerful right out of the box without resorting to all sorts of after-market fixes to bring it up to snuff. I'll be interested to know what the gas version is capable of.....with a heating surface approximately 60% of the alcohol one. The proof of the pudding will surely be in the eating, we will see.

I am packing 2857 in the car on Friday along with 6 CP coaches, baggage car and express reefer (the same ones I ran at DH the last two years) and will give the whole lot a canter at Cabin Fever this w/e.

Looking forward to seeing old friends there.
David M-K

Ottawa

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
David,
As I pointed out, it will go around 8 foot okay.
A little bit of slowing down, but will make it.
NOW, what is this 2857 stuff.
Don't tell me that you have already renumbered yours, have you???
Have fun at Cabin Fever.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Alan, I'll be over in Ottawa for the Great American Invasion this year, and hope to get the chance to meet up with D M-K while I'm there with my folks. Not sure that Stittsville has much else to offer now, though, as the HUGE sunday market has gone for good.

Might even toddle down to YOUR end of ONT, if pursuaded by threats of steam locomotives.

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
David,

I will have my RH at cabin fever Friday and Saturday morning. I also plan to bring 5 CP coaches (MTH 1:32 repaints) and an express reefer, maybe we could put together a decent size consist for the engines.

Dan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts