G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a picture of the yard I want to build in, but not sure how to post it in here.
Basically wanting to build a stone ring (retaining wall) around a tree. That is on a hill!:confused: For a simple loop to get started with. There will be quite a bit of fill and I'm not sure what to use, easier to haul in loads of lime than dirt this time of year. For the base layer of rock, a fellow club member suggested I dig a trench and tamp in some of this lime. I have a picture of another layout with a Mogul in it that is similar to what I want to acheive...
So my question is....
What else needs to be done before cementing or mortering stone? Weed fabric, drainage pipe or gully on the downhill side I thought etc.

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

As you can see, the hill is steep! Mostly roots from that dang old gumball tree /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

Do I need anykind of underlayment for weeds? Heck there isn't even any grass there. I think that would definately hurt the tree/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys.... Hey Torby, you'll see my yard Gnome next weekend. I am inclined to take Steve's advice on the lower half of the hill. And maybe run the lower line of stone back in a horseshoe type pattern. In this pic you see the lime pile the boys play in and it's where I want to have the waterfall feature. Then run a river along the driveway all the way around the tree.

I am only talking about a trench like 2 inches deep and just skipping the roots. I am 8' from the tree and don't think I'll have much trouble if I do use an organic landfill....? I will re-route the stone in more of a pattern I am thinking and re post soon. Keep the ideas coming from all you "experts" it really helps and I am thankful for all and any ideas you have!

· Premium Member
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, now my wife thinks the limestone rocks look like Flinstones did it and thinks I should use a more natural brownish stone. Well......well...... the only way to achieve this is the local landscaping joint and I'm not paying Big $$$ for a pallet of rocks! Looks like I am going to have to hit the local creeks around here with the pick up truck...uuuuugggghhhh! I told her I could paint them brown later but she don't think it will work or that I have the talent to pull it off. OH Ye of little Faith I say, hehe. Talk to me guys, who out there has improvised and colored some stone before? HELP!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.