G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
If you fill the low side of the area, only bring it up to level with the existing dirt line at the tree! Anything above that may cause damage to the trunk via insects and more likely rot.

The root system will over time work its way back to the surface, but could/may also sustain damage due to oxygen starvation if the fill is compacted heavily while your building the railway.

You'll see at a minimum a weaker tree on the raised bed side for at least 2 to 3 years, meaning the canopy will be diminished, and possibly paler in color. With the tree in stress it will also be more suseptible to diseases and insects during this time so watch for that.

Good luck with whatever you do...

Mark

· Registered
92 Posts
One of Garden Railway's books and I believe it's one of Jack Verducci's chapters has a section on painting and shaping rock to acheive your design criteria. I beleive it was the "Garden Railroading, Getting started in the Hobby" title. I have not painted any but don't see why it wouldn't work!!;)

Good luck

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.