G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can the 16oz (500g) cans of isobutane/propane be obtained in the US? None of the local camping supply stores know they even exist. Nor any on-line merchants. Is there a problem due to hazmat rules? I know they exist, because I saw one at Marty's last Fall.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you Google "16 oz isobutane" ? Tons of listings. Ordering more than one, maybe two, will likely be a problem online due to shipping restrictions.

But you live in a big city, go to Google maps, for Kansas City. Search for camping and/or outdoor equipment. It will list all stores related in the greater KC area and tag them on the map. You have to be able to find one in your area.

Of course one slight problem for you locally might be there is no where to camp around KC so no one would carry it. I don't know, never been to KC, K, or KC M.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well Cabella's built a nice big store there so we know there is a lot of good camping in the area. It's next to the Kansas race track Check them out. Later RJD

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already checked Cabela's, Bass Pro, & Backwoods in KC area - all stock only 4 & 8 oz cans. Same for REI on-line. Google seems to show only Brunton cases of 12, plus unknown shipping charges.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Cross Creek Engineering has them for $8 each, but you have to pay a Hazmat fee($25-I always get a case, same fee). Some Walmarts carry it, but I've never found it in any.
CC is at 1-800-664-3226 Bob Pennock runs it, nice guy to deal with. He has the adaptors to use also, if you don't have one, they use the screw on type. His email is [email protected] I got this from his ad in Steam in the Garden, don't you get that magazine? GREAT for steamers!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 16oz."BLUE" cans I buy are "CAMPINGAZ", distributed by the Coleman Co., at 3600 N Hydraulic, Wichita Kansas. I buy them for $4.97 ea. at "SPORTS CHALET", a chain of southern calif. sporting goods stores. They have the "non-threaded" top & the fill valve assy's were addressed in a fairly recent MLS message. I made mine up from a $25.00 camping stove which I gutted for the parts! Jim Spanier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts