G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I'd buy that 250 ton crane kit. very nice at reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marty, I have the 250 ton crane, crane tender and box cab and the build is so tight that you can dry fit allot of the model before glueing. Jack

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the first 250 crane because I paid for it to be designed for me. It is set up to be built with servos for boom, both hooks and rotation. You use 4 servos or just the ones you want or not at all and make manual adjustments. To drive the servos I use the Aristo Revolution with the add on card to drive the servos that I had Dave Bodner design and now he sells them.
All you have to do is make the servos full rotational or purchase full rotational ones. Jack

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the pic, Metal frame for hoists! Sure will not snap under load. I like the 250 ton also and was gald to find that Southern Pacific had a few, including one that was painted daylight colors. Not sure if servo motors would be best for lifting over DC motors as lack of travle may limit reach of cables. Looks like great project!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Pete
The 250 ton crane model was designed to accommodate inexpensive servos to animate the crane functions. There was never any intent to have the crane lift any load. There is no metal framing in the model. It is all laser cut styrene.
Alan - THEGALLINE

·
Registered
149 Posts
Greg, bdp,
Never Knew that, i thought they were the electrial equivalent on Hydrolic. in/out or short throw. Makes great sense for slow motion/scale movement in G scale without having to gear down an electric motor. Info, Another reason to like this forum, Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I still need to look into buying one of these. Make for a nice project. Later RJD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts