G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Near by Eureka,Utah on US-6 to SR-36. I pull-over stopping on SR-36 i see the small railroad! I have no idea who own small railroad. so walking to the small railroad to took a photos. I've seen the tracks many times, but this is the first time I've stopped to take a closer look.

I took a photo my shoe (Size 14) and the track to see idea what guage that track.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Bryan,
I wonder if there is a live steam club near there? If not, you probably came upon some millionaire's private little railroad! Did you walk the line? Usually these small 12" gauge roads are only a mile long or less. I'm willing to bet that, sooner or later, you would have come upon the storage area or even a depot! Unless there were NO TRESSPASSING signs posted all over (in which case I can understand if you didn't stick around long) there probably would be some information about who's it is and how to contact them. (Cool photos!)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Bryan,

Looks like 1 1/2" scale the tracks are about 7 1/2"' apart. It must be a club or private railroad like Steve said.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Go to Google Earth and enter these coordinates:

39-deg 55'58.40" N 112-deg 09' 40.46" W

Zoom in/out to orient yourself as being just north of the intersection of SR 36 and SR 67.

Looks like a nice layout!

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
That is a very large layout. Nice meandering mainline. Wonder who owns this?

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
RE: 12" Guage track???

Funny, I found a 7.5 inch gauge line near a friend's house today.

EDIT: WOW, that is a BIG railway.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't see any NO TRESPASSING sins. I'm not sure who owns it. I stepped over a fence that had been knocked down (probably by a car that slide off the road during a snow storm), so the owner proably doesn't want uninvited visitors. It sure is neat, though.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts

Was the rail aluminum or steel? 12" gauge usually uses stuff like old 13# mine car rail.

Also, watch yourself -- crossing a fence, even if it is knocked down. changes things from "trespass" to "defiant trespass" in many areas -- even without posted signs.... so the fines can get huge.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Fence or not I'd walk the line to see where it comes from, but that's just me. :)

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Here's what this layout looks like on Google Earth. I had to resize this pic, so the layout is a little hard to see. The mainline goes into TWO canyons east to west and almost covers the picture from top to bottom. It might just be a VERY long walk!

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts

There appears to be a driveway entrance to the northeast of the intersection. Drive up it to see if there are signs (no tresspassing or visitors hours or ???). You might find that there is a residence up there about where the pushpin is in the google screenshot of the previous post.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Actually C.T. the railroad goes sw from the push-pin through that one canyon, down to the road at the extreme bottom of the photo. Then from the push-pin the railroad extends up through the canyon in a ne direction. The railroad also occupies the canyon to the west of the push-pin and sw to the road below. It also goes into that canyon and you can trace it up almost directly north to another dirt road. I used the tape measure in Google Earth and I estimate this thing is about two-thirds of a mile north to south and about that same distance east to west. If you have Google Earth you should really look at this place. I have visited many very large 7.5" gauge railroads here on the west coast and I believe this is larger by far. Someone has quite a railroad!

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Bryan,

It's a little difficult to tell from the shoe size, but 7.5 is common. It COULD be 10", but maybe you need to go back there with a tape measure. He. He.

We have a narrow gauge layout in the desert not far from here and it is 1/4 scale, 9" between rails. One-of-a-kind.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I too question the gauge... sure seems to be more that 7.5" gauge in your photos.

As for whose it is... you might ask around in Eureka or at that business (?) at the intersection of 36 and 67 south of the site.

I see what may be two entrances to the site... entering through a driveway should not be construed as trespass, but be cordial and respectful and watch for signage to the contrary. Asking around may lead you to knowledge as to whether the owners are amenable to visitors and maybe what time would be best to attempt to visit.

As big as the place is and the size of the "yard" area that leads to what appears to be an engine house makes be think it is probably a club of some sort that runs it, thus there are members (plural) as opposed to a single owner.

There may be a residence too. I see a building that might be a house just north of the engine house/yard.

I tried Google's new street level photos of the area and the "entrances" I see in the overhead photos don't show up too well at all in the street level photos so asking around ought to be the best way of learning more about it.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts

Driving past the place on a pleasant Saturday or Sunday afternoon might also reveal some folk running trains right at that time!

·
Been around awhile
131 Posts
The large scale clubs I have visited are laid out to accommodate members and guests. Other then the engine house, this very remote site seems to lack any kind of support.

Judging by the condition of the road bed, and the sheer size, there's no lack of funding.

A search for railroad clubs in the Orem / Provo Utah area finds only small scale. Most clubs encourage membership, which means a web presence in this age.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a private railroad.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
What about on-line access to the county plat books, that should at least show who owns the land. Anyone figured out the township/range and section information?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dave, You talking about Ophir Tintic & Western Model Railroad Club from Provo Utah of Z to G scale? I remember the Ophir Tintic & Western Model Railroad train show last Jan 2009!

I still dont know who the owner of private railroad.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Just for the heck of it here are some larger images, click the displayed images for a much larger images.

Did you happen to notice that if you take Cherry Creek Road southwest from Tintic Junction, there's what seems to be a real railroad. Don't have the fainest idea which one it may be, or if it's even still in use. Just thought it interesting.

Haven't located any on-line access to the Juab County plat books, but I'll keep looking and report back if I find anything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts