G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about done my 10 Wheeler bash and now I am looking for a nice sound card. I do not have a good Hobby store in my area so I am forced to shop online which makes choosing a sound card rather frustrating.

What can I get for the best Bang for my Buck and where can I get it?

I live in Nova Scotia Canada so everything is far away.....LOL

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
The chuff on my B'mann 10 wheeler didn't work out of the box. It was an open connection - can't remember now just where it was. The chuff is pretty anemic even when working...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Posted By George Schreyer on 02/15/2009 11:27 AM
the very cheapest way to get a basic chuff is to use the existing Bmann sound board with some minor modifications

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips4/bachmann_sound_tips.html

Next cheapest digital sound is from Dallee, about $95 on the street. Not too many places carry Dallee but these guys do

http://dccroundhouse.com/

The next tier up is QSI

Phoenix doesn't sound any better than QSI but it is more expensive

Oh man George I couldn't agree with you more!!!!! But oh man watch the Phoenix cats come out to eat us QSI boys up!!Hee hee LOL The Regal

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Mine has the small scale railways board in the tender. Cost about $90. I picked the "huckleberry railroad" sound. You don't have control of the bell and whistle. It sounds those based on what you're doing and it's always making appropriate sounds. Now, I'd probably look at the QSI board.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The QSI seems nice. Can the sounds be swapped around on the cards using a computer? I was looking at the Quantum Magnum: Universal "G" Gauge Sound & Power System but it does not give much information on what you can do with it.

Looks like you have to buy a software package for $100 just to download and play the files. seems like a money grab.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Navy tech you dont have to buy the sound files just go to qsi and download the qi and q2 upgrade free download you can listen to them for free, kinda tricky how to download from qsi, they dont make anything really easy, but yes you can change sound in the card but you do have to buy a programmer which is $75 in order to down load into the actual sound card. Usually wherever you buy the sound decoder they will download what you want when you order from them Litchfield Station Bruce or Jerry can help you also they have free shipping on orders over $75. The Regal

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
The QSI card comes with whatever sound set you request. You can download and listen to the sound files for free but to put different sound files onto the card you need the programmer--as regal said, it's a bout $75.ikt lets you modify the sound file--choose a chuff you like, a whistle, etc. Right now they don't have a sound file specifically for the ten wheeler, but I made one out of chuffs whistles etc and used that. Supposedly iin the next month or two they will be adding more sound files

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
One other note is that if operating on DC the minuet you turn the power off the sound stops. You can install the super cap to eliminate this problem. As lownote says you can customize sounds using the programmer. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am currently preparing to install a QSI sound card with a K4 sound file. In preparation for this I decided to introduce power from the track to the tender via the chucks. I accomplished this by making my own bushings.
First I took a brass shelving tab and drilled a hole in the center.
Next while holding the half rounded part in a vice I cut the round stock part with a dremal tool to give me two bushing inserts.

I then soldered a wire to the bushings with it spaced properly.

I the drilled out the trucks to the outside diameter of the bushings and press fit them in.

I did this for both sides of the trucks and ran the two wires into the tender.

Next I need to install a reed switch in there somewhere. Anyone have any experience doing this. I need the reed switch to trigger the sound card to activate the whistle when it passes a point on the track.

My next Big Question of the day is when the train passes over the magnet and the reed switch makes the whistle will start but will the whistle stop as soon as the reed switch opens up again or does the whistle continue to go for a set time then stop? I ask this cause I do not want a real quick blast of the whistle when I pass over a spot fast...

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am thinking that you can as the drawing shows a spot for a reed switch. I also have the chuff switch already in the Loco so it should work as well. I know that the reed switch is hooked to VOL which I assume means volume but is it volume for the horn?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
If i remember correctly the reed switchs are are for cuffing and total volume of sound board only. if you want to trigger horn and bell on DC power you can flick the direction switch back and forth on your power pack to operate them or you can build this conroller like Greg did for me using a TE from aristo... see video. i only operate my QSI boards with dc power no DCC... i think Greg has or will have something on his site as to how and what to use to build this controller and it really works great and from what Greg told me didnt cost many $

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
NT,

I'd suggest you download the QSI instruction manual for an in depth look at the capabilities of the Magnum board. The QSI stuff works with Analog DC control and or DCC; and it auto senses either discipline. You cannot trigger the horn and such with a reed type switch; however the special design functions of the QSI Magnum board allow you to toggle the reverse switch to activate the horn and bell dependent on the speed at which you cycle the REV switch. While performing said REV switch cycling; the drive train is not affected.

You can also purchase the inexpensive Quantum Engineer accessory to program and operate all the functions with DC track power only, pretty neat gadget IMO.

Michael

1 - 20 of 45 Posts