G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A buddy of mine is scratch building a 1/32 mikado and is having a hard time finding wheel castings in cast iron. I know he called Sulphur Springs but they said it would take a long time
because they source them over seas.
Does anyone know a source for wheel castings for a 1/32 locomotive?

Thanks

Bruce

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Since Mikes came with various sizes of wheels, what wheel size are you wanting to scale by 1:32?
Depending on the prototype, wheels cast for other scales in "G" could substitute with maybe a bit of tweaking for thickness or such.
A 29" diameter wheel in 1:29 scale would be 1" in diameter, which would be a model of a 32" wheel in the prototype at 1:32 scale.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's modeling a heavy mikado. The prototype has 64'' drivers so I think he wants 2'' to 2 1/8'' castings.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Sadly I can't think of anybody in the USA who makes 1/32nd scale wheel castings. This might be why the wheel-caster makers here in UK get such a lot of business from your side of the water when building in this scale.

Scratch building in the USA is rare indeed.

tac

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the info. I'll let my friend know and hopefully I can make him join the forum. This guy built a hit and miss engine, a 4 cylinder engine, and his latest project a V8. I keep telling him if you can build a gas engine, a steam engine should be know problem.

Thanks

Bruce

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Posted By Jerry Barnes on 08/10/2008 12:20 PM
Might check with Bob Thon , he has some neat wheels cast for his Challenger kits. [email protected]

im pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that all the "Roberts Lines" engines use Lionel drivers..
I have seen several of Roberts engines in person, and they have all used surplus Lionel drivers.

Scot

·
Registered
210 Posts
That doyen of 1/32 scratchbuilders, Paul Huntingdon, uses nothing but wheel castings from Walsall for all his North American models. Well that's not quite accurate, he machines his Boxpocks from mild steel solid. As regards spoked wheels, nobody has ever pulled him up about a Walsall wheel having one too many (or few) spokes! They are a joy to turn by the way.
If your mate can get someone to hand carry them back from the UK that would be better as postage will be quite a bit with the recent rate increases worldwide.

David M-K
Ottawa

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
The Accucraft 1:32 SP 2-10-2 has 63" drivers, which seem to be a popular size for a lot of different locomotive types, including most Mikados. Accucraft usually seems pretty good about making spare parts available, I wonder how willing they would be to do up some extra 63" driver sets for the scratchbuilders out there.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Hmmm. Can't hurt to ask, and IF they are available, they will no doubt

a. be a lot cheaper ready-turned than buying castings that need fettling from UK.

b. be available in the US.

tac

1 - 15 of 15 Posts