G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As faithful listeners will no doubt recall, several years ago I scratchbuilt a Rio Grande standard gauge caboose.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Matt,

What a great idea!! My road (FEC) unfortunately though was the first to axe the caboose in favor of the FRED--guess it's our fault there are no more of these /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif
On another note--how about more photos of your layout--I have seen a few and it looks great!!

Matt

·
Registered
691 Posts
Can I be nosey and ask what material you're having cut? I've been wondering about waterjet for a while now myself.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Caboose??? what are they used for?????

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,
I used 0.125" ABS for the first test cut, which incidentally arrived this afternoon. It was slightly flawed due to a translation error between my AutoCAD drawing and their cutting software, but I think we've got that resolved. The parts come with all of the windows cut out and all holes drilled.

I'm thinking of a relatively craftsman-savvy kind of kit: no trucks or couplers, this goes here; that goes there, here's a bunch of wire - bend it like this and stick it here. To me it looks like a long caboose that would fit in well on lots of railroads.

Matt - here are a couple of pics from my layout from the past few years:
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/mhutson/DSC01834.jpg
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/mhutson/21.jpg
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/mhutson/Matt%27s%20RR%20-%20S.G/DSC01249%20copy.jpg

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
136 Posts
What about a Northeast Style Center Cupola Caboose...

I'd buy a few of those... No one makes them...

Plenty of long style cabooses...

PLEASE!!!

Philip

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Matt,
I don't want to get off subject on your caboose project but this might be a good addition. Ozark has some new 1/29 caboose truck kits with generators that were designed by John McGuyer. The initial kits have some problems with the bolster casting that I'm not sure has been worked out yet. I bought three of the kits along with Mike Gorsich who bought two. Mike did a modification to the bolsters so they will work with off the shelf wheel sets. These are very nice trucks and will be a good product when the problems are all worked out. They do require quite a bit of cleanup to the castings and so are not for anyone without some patience. All my completed ones work great. Anyone interested should check with Ozark for more details. Here are a few photos of them on three kitbashed S.P. C40-3 cabooses.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Matt,

Great layout!!! Especially like the simulated snow and the backdrop mountains.

Not to deviate from your posting, here is a photo of the last of the FEC cabooses (cabeese--anyone know what the proper term is?) I am actually tempted to build one out of a 40ft box car--exactly what the FEC did.

Not sure where to get trucks like that--they look like express or tender trucks to me? Anyone got a clue?

The OTHER Matt

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Remember this? I finally dusted off this project and got rolling last month.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/mhutson/2IMG_2957.jpg

I've been unsuccessful in getting caboose trucks from Ozark, even though they promised me a freee pair. Guess I'll wait for the new ones from USAT, due later this month. For now it rides on USAT freight trucks.

The Rio Grande logo was made for me by Del Tapparo. The major parts were cut from styrene by a waterjet company.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Count me in if your doing kits. Love building stuff and the detail parts available will make for a very nice caboose. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Guys,
I think as far as kits go, the waterjet idea won't fly; the cost to cut the pieces is too high. Also, I think I'd rather have the rivets (which are in my drawings) were I to produce a kit.

Here's an updated photo. Should have it finished this weekend.

Cheers,
Matt
M.P. 293 on the D&RGW's Baldwin Branch

1 - 20 of 33 Posts