G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
My TrueValue hardware store had an eclectic stack of animals last time I was in there. Too small for 1:20, and some were dragons, but there were a few sheep and horses.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
What? Haven't you seen a dragon grazing with the cows?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Er, Guys,

Not to be --crud, I just forgot the word-- a know it all, (mainly 'cause I don't) you all do realize that horse come in different sizes, right? "Pedantic", there it is. There are tall horses, short horses, ponies, blocky horses, skinny horses, and even an awfully lot of the very rear end of a horse running around. Percherons are humongous. (They pull the Busch Beer Wagon--quite a few are alcoholics, an embarrassment to the company.) Then there are those critters called 'mustangs' that are runty and tough. All you need is a horse that is of reasonable altitude for the guy standing with him.

And Torby, you're right about dragons grazing with cows. I usta have to throw rocks at 'em when I went to get the cows in for milking. Sometimes it was a hassle. They only breathe fire in the springtime when the garlic is coming up.

Les

·
Registered
116 Posts
A. C. Moore and Michaels carry a lot of animals from Schlidge. There are several sizes of horses. I have a few large draft horses that I use to pull logs down from the hills to the loading crane. You can usually pick them up on sale for around $2 each.

Big John

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Afternoon,

Thank you all for the suggestions, I will be taking my self and a pair of calipers off to Michaels some time in the near future. What my wife is really interested in is cows. So I need to do research on the sizes of cows. I have not spent much time around full grown ones lately,  I did do some 2 person ranch sorting last fall, but they were calves and the horse I was riding is about 16 hands (5'4") so the cows look short.
In the last couple of years I have ridden everything from a little buckskin that my feet hung past it's chest to a truly uncoordinated thoroughbred at 16.5 hands. And an elephant.

Phillip 

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Cows vary in size like horses. Gurnseys tend to be large and tall, Holsteins are short and long. Whitefaces are pretty blocky and 'average' height. Jerseys are tall and bony. In that case, you need to think about the color vs body size. And don't get overly critical, not one person in 500 will know the difference.

FWIW, most cows look short from atop a horse.

Les

G

·
0 Posts
just measure one of the figures, you are using.
then look for cows, that are about breast-high for your figures.
the cheap asian "farm animal" sets include animals of different scales. buy them, give away, what is too big or too small - paint the rest to your liking.

cheapest way to build up a herd.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 03/16/2009 3:50 PM
And bulls look really big when you are on the ground on the same side of the fence that they are!

That ain't no bull! (Yuk,yuk.)

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Korm,

It just happens that the length of my index finger to bottom of knuckle is 3.5". That works out to be right at 6' in F scale. So, I have a 'built-on' measure.

Les

G

·
0 Posts
when my camera will be repaired and if Mr. Alzheimer does not forbid it - i will take some pics of my plastic "livestock".
i got cows rangeing from scale 1:22.5 to 1:32

·
Registered
149 Posts
Philip,

Try googling "1/32 scale John Deere Farm animal sets". I run 1/29 trains with all 1/32 cars trucks, ect. It is forced perspective when they are behind the trains but it works well and keeps the trains BIG!

Pete

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Phillip, These cattle are 1/32 scale and work quit well. Black Angus, Herfords, Gurnsey and Long Horns. They are by "Country Life". They also have horses. Our local Bomgaars farm store had these. So check out any farm supply stores with a toy department.

G

·
0 Posts
"leonpete", just curious where you got your fences, and specifically the loading ramps? Did you make these yourself, or are they a POLA/PIKO product?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Hi Ed,
I cut all the post and fence rail from dowel stock. Drilled holes thru the post for the fence rail. The gates and loading ramps were made from strip wood. The base is 3/4" plywood and holes were drilled for the post. I keep this livestock yard in my trainshed when not in use. I have a frame that it sets into on the layout.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts