G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
755 Posts
I liked the review but there are two important questions that for me are still unanswered ...

First of these ... is the valve gear issue noted on the reviewed loco an example of poor assembly (and QC) at B'mann or is it a generalized problem with many or most locos. Sadly, I know that each loco delivered from every supplier needs to be gone over and checked for broken details, loose screws or miswiring. But complex valve gear problems are not fun to resolve

Second ... there was no real commentary on actual operation. Perhaps given the valve gear fix the loco wasnt actually run. But drawbar pull and an informed comment of any likely problem in pulling heavy train on tough grades would be appreciated. For example, the knock on the K-27 now is that the incorrect gear ratio makes pulling a train of prototype length made up of the not too free rolling AMS cars a problem on even the slightest grades.

Regards ... Doug

· Premium Member
755 Posts
Greg

My concern with valve gear is simply ... is the fault on the loco revied just an isolated example and others are correct ... or are all the locos faulty in their assembly
On the issue of kitbashing the loco ... it should be kept in mind that the prototype as proposed is a tiny loco. I do not think that the loco would look scaled correctly with the saddle tanks removed unless the boiler were expanded. In that context the lack of supports and the sizing of the electronics etc should not be an issue. On the other hand if the bashed loco were to represent 1:24 scale then it would be a bigger issue. But is hard to fault the manufacturer for not taking that aspect into account.

Regards ... Doug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.