G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted some photos of the new two stall engine shed and machine shop module that was built for the Sundance Central Modular Railroad. This past Saturday was our final work day on the new modules (6 modules for an extension of 20' to our existing modular)and today we loaded the POD going to the 28th National Narrow Gauge Convention in Portlad, OR.
In addition to the engine shed and machine shop, a Gallows turntable was built by our team member, Frank Palmer. It installs adjacent to the engine shed module. I've posted some photos of the turntable with the overview of the engine shed which shows a sense of scale to this project. The photos were taken by my friend, Gary Nichols. Enjoy!
Richard :)

"

"

"

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Absolutely amazing! I could use one like that on my new elevated layout! But it's TOO NICE to be outdoors.:D

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Unbelievable! Actually very realistic - I like :) That last shot has to be 1:1 :-o

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Wow, it never stops with you folks. The night shot is great.

I'll bet you guys have fun working together. How did you get that much talent in one group?

Mike

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike-Yes, we do have a lot fun working together. It's been hard work the last couple of months to get ready for the Narrow Gauge Convention. We really enjoy going to the NNGC since the modular can stay up for four days rather than the large scale conventions of just a weekend.
It takes us about 12 hours for set-up and 6 hours for tear-down for the original 25' x 50' modular. Now with the new addition of 10' x 20' we are hoping just an additional 2 hour set-up and 1 hour tear-down.
Frank and I built all the turnouts (10 to be exact) and hand laid all the track (about 120') on the 6 new modules.
We all have the same interest and goal in mind for the modular. I am glad to be a part of a great team of modelers.
Gear Driven-Since the modular layout moves from one location to another location during the course of the year, I'm not sure what you meant about photos of the location?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif
Thanks for all the great comments.
Richard
Sundance Central Modular Railroad

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Richard,
Absolutely Gorgeous addition.
Looking forward to finally seeing the
Sundance in person. Oh Yea, and meeting you
and the other team members/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif:)
See you in Portland
Rick Marty

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mickey,
The spider gear that allows the turntable to rotate was purchased from Pacific Coast Garden Railway Supply in Camarillo, CA.
Richard

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I have seen pictures of the spider gear, really nice looking.

What is the width, and length of the turntable. Also what is the diameter of the spider gear??

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I think I'll just keep copying and pasting the same superlatives (incredible, fantastic, museum quality, etc) and just plug 'em in everytime I see another one of your posts. You Sundance Central guys are in a league of your own. Now get outta town before Hanna, Ike, or whatever blow in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts